We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enter Mexico visit w/past minor criminal record ??

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Enter Mexico visit w/past minor criminal record ??

hi

Planning to visit mexico for a week p.vallarta , but someone travelling with us has a minor past criminal record, is canadian w/valid passport,, would it be a problem there ? wanna know before i book ?

Puerto Vallarta Outdoor Adventure Tour
209 Reviews
from US$119.00*
Free Cancellation
Puerto Vallarta Sunset Cruise and...
135 Reviews
from US$139.00*
Free Cancellation
Marietas Islands: Snorkel Cruise from...
196 Reviews
from US$79.00*
Free Cancellation
Yellowknife, Canada
Level Contributor
278 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Enter Mexico visit w/past minor criminal record ??

We do all the time, but we make sure we fly direct, no layover in the States. Have never had an issue..

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Enter Mexico visit w/past minor criminal record ??

thanks.. we getting direct flight from calgary w/air transat , first wanted to go costarica.. but someone from tripadvisor adviced me why go to colonial city in this situation? so i think he was right so i changed my destination.. now we r getting puntacana or puerto vallarta .. same route , we r in vancouver but have to go via calgary .. i have to decide by next week,, how about punta cana DR,, do u know anyone go there is it okay too in this situation ? ie what is worse that can happen entry gets denied ? than what i do ? have to book him other flight from there ? or they use same return portion except they send u on plane same time back ? they dont put someone in this situation in jail do they ???? i want to make thorough research from people who know abt this before i book ? if u think i should stick to mexico then let me know since u said u guys do all the time.. if u think DR is also okay then let me know... thank you

Yellowknife, Canada
Level Contributor
278 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Enter Mexico visit w/past minor criminal record ??

DR is fine too....been there a couple of times also, with someone who has a record..,.the only place you have to worry about it the States, and having said that, we went there a couple of years ago and were not turned away...however, they can if they are in a pissy mood...

saskatchewan
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Enter Mexico visit w/past minor criminal record ??

Have a friend of a friend who flew calgary to jamai via the states, when he landed in states he was detain and he was let go but had to pay cash, not sure the amount, and on return same thing happened. We are talking a b and e record back when he was 19 and he was 58 when this happened. Passport and all. Another time flying back from PV, we had an emergency landing in Great Falls Mont., fire trucks and all following us down the run way, they weren't going to let anyone of the plane since some people didn't have passports, all ended ok and we lived to write about it.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Enter Mexico visit w/past minor criminal record ??

A word of caution for your friend. When in Mexico ensure he does nothing to attrack the police or commit an offence. Years ago I had a fellow come down to work and while here decided to go out to live it up one night and was arrested. Once the officials found out he had a criminal driving record in Canada he was kept in jail until a very large fine was paid. He was then put on a plane back home.

Just a word of caution, but do have fun while here.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Enter Mexico visit w/past minor criminal record ??

thanks for letting me know this, however the t/agent sd there will be no stopover in us; but no guarantee of emerg. landing ; so that is why i am still researching bfre i book.

My other option was from toronto down.. which is few hrs down so less chance of emerg. landing but is costing us more money so i dont know what to do, travel agent said we have never heard emerg. landing for non stop air transat flight, , via calgary' should i go for toronto route anyway ?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Enter Mexico visit w/past minor criminal record ??

thank u for ur advice. also how is las palmas hotel by sea ? i getting that and grand bahia principe in punta cana ? which do i choose ? i have been to pvallarta /acapulco and cancun. ; but budget wise these r my choices

Portage la Prairie...
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Enter Mexico visit w/past minor criminal record ??

I have a DUI from the past and it has never even come up or even been an issue. That was in my stupid days. I consider it major (will never do again) and I'm not sure what your friend has done....but this has never caused me a problem in the 8 years since. (going to PV)

Langley BC
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Enter Mexico visit w/past minor criminal record ??

check with the CDN and MX consulates for their regs before you book. They will have the correct answers for you.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
13,125 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Enter Mexico visit w/past minor criminal record ??

I personally wouldn´t change my flight plans to go via Toronto. Emergency landings are rare and, by definition, unpredictable.

I feel for your friend because I know several Canadian friends who have, many years ago, made a mistake and years later can´t even drive through the States. If I were you/him orher, I´d take your original direct flight and don´t worry. These same people that I referred to have flown back and forth from Mexico many times without incident. Enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Mexico
Mexico
North America