We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yelapa tour or no tour?

seattle
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Yelapa tour or no tour?

A group of four of us are planning to spend a day in Yelapa, and are condsidering doing a tour . If we did a tour, can anyone recommend an agency/booking tour excursion, or if we don't go the tour route, how should we spend the time getting there and back etc.?

Superior Tours Vallarta
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Yelapa tour or no tour?

Go to vallartainfo.com and scroll down and click on Yelapa. If you go on your own you will have much more time to spend in Yelapa.

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yelapa tour or no tour?

Go to yelapa.info and you will find everything you need to know there.

seattle
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Yelapa tour or no tour?

thanks guys for the info! After further review of the yelapa site i dont think we're going to do a tour, we spend $50 per person and be crammed on a tour boat when we can take a water taxi for about $10 and just go on at our own pace.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
562 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yelapa tour or no tour?

I agree with your decision to go on your own. We did the tour and, granted, the trip over on the big catamaran was pretty fun with snacks and booze and all, but not worth the price of the whole trip IMHO. Once you get to Yelapa, you really don't need a tour guide. If I went back, I would want to explore at my leisure. If you really wanted to, you could wait for an organized tour group to arrive and just follow them up to the waterfall. We felt as though we would have enjoyed our time there much more if we weren't on someone else's schedule.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yelapa tour or no tour?

Here are reviews of Yelapa with photos. You can easily go there on your own.

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g150793-Puerto_Valla…

Salinas, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Yelapa tour or no tour?

Take the water taxi way for sure. the tours only give you a bit of time in Yelapa and there is so much to do/see. catch the earliest taxi and return around 5 when the last one leaves. Yelapa is a Not Miss Experience!

Knoxville, TN
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Yelapa tour or no tour?

When you exit the boats, be on the lookout for the "Pie Lady." Her coconut pie is alone worth the trip to Yelapa.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,619 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yelapa tour or no tour?

Next time, I am going on my own. With the tour, we just did not have as much time as I would have liked.

I could spend a whole day there no problem

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yelapa tour or no tour?

do it yourself---get the to die for pie

louisville, ky
Level Contributor
129 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yelapa tour or no tour?

NO TOUR!! They suck. We got on one a few years ago, and only made it to Mismaloya before we were completely over it, and got off. It was overcrowded and boring as hell.

You can take the bus to Boca de Tomatlán, and hire your own private boat for a fraction of the cost.