We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info on Velas Vallarta Resort

texas
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Info on Velas Vallarta Resort

Need any advice or tips on this resort from anyone who has stayed here before. We will be there next week (6 women). Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
54 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info on Velas Vallarta Resort

I went with 4 friends (a 5 women trip) in November after cancelling a scheduled trip the the Mayan Riviera. We stayed at Velas Vallarta. It is located very close to the airport near the yacht club. This is an al inclusive resort. You pay the AI fee upon arrival. We had a large room with kitchen, living area, 2 bedrooms and 2 baths. One bedroom had a king bed and one two doubles. The kitchen was stocked with an assortment of drinks as well as bread, cereal, chips, fruit.

The resort has 2 restaurants and a pool snack bar. We were pleased with the food at the restaurants. We usually had breakfast at the restaurant overlooking the beach. It was buffet and quite good. The best dinners were at the other restaurant (can't remember the name). A different type of buffet was offered each night. Numerous items were on the buffet and you ordered an entree from the menu.

Each evening, some type of activity/show is provided. We went to some and they were ok.

Bus transportation is available to downtown PV. You get on the bus at the resort and ride a couple of minutes to the yacht club stop, then get off and get on another bus to go downtown. The bus does stop at other stops and one trip took about 45 minutes. The fare is minimal. One evening we took a cab back to the resort. I cannot remember the fare, but it was worth it.

The resort offers 2 free tours. We went on one which took us south to a beach area and on a downtown tour. Unfortunately we did not get to go to the beach. We stopped on a hill overlooking Mismoloya (as in Night of the Iguana) beach for 5 minutes!! We probably would not do that again as it took our entire day.

We decided to rent a car one day. We rented from the resort. The cost was approximately $75. It was GREAT!!! We drove to the last beach village on the road south - Boca de Tom---something!, then up the mountain to El Eden where Predator was filmed. What an experience. Then we went to Mismoloya Beach and spent the rest of the day. That was our favorite day. People could not believe we were "brave" enough to rent a car. We had no problem. If you think you might rent a car, let me know and I will give you a couple of tips that helped me a lot.

Back to the resort..all rooms seem to have an ocean view. They have nice balconies with table and chairs. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The grounds are very nice with lots of foliage in the center of the resort. The pool area was quite large with plenty of chairs. There is a seperate pool area for children.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Info on Velas Vallarta Resort

And to make a call from the hotel, you buy a phone card and plug it into the phone at the hotel?

Tonawanda, New York
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Info on Velas Vallarta Resort

It's a lovely resort!! You will have a wonderful time!!!Be sure to walk to the Marina and check out the restaurants there and watch the sunset from the top of the Lighthouse!!!

texas
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Info on Velas Vallarta Resort

yes we will have fun. have you found anything out about golf?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,254 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Info on Velas Vallarta Resort

Hi beachlova, when will you be going? We just got back last week. There was 12 of us that went and we loved it very much....everything was perfect...I just posted a review, you may want to read it and others, they are very helpful.

This resort is beautiful....you will have a wonderful time...the pool area is great and the staff will spoil you.

If you have any questions, just ask. Enjoy your trip, I wish I was going again next week. I have to wait until June....

West Coast USA
Level Contributor
78 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Info on Velas Vallarta Resort

How is the beach? Can you boogie board there? Snorkel? Anywhere close by(walking distance) to do any of the above. Do think it would be a good place to go with teenage children?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Info on Velas Vallarta Resort

Some people don't know that there are two other restaurants at other resorts (owned by the same company) that the All-Inclusive allows for. Go to Andrea, and ask the hostess to show you the menus and give you info. You call the ANDREA in the morning to make reservations for THAT EVENING (only). Going to El Candil at Casa Vallarta tonight and am soooo excited. I;ve heard it's great.

Velas Vallarta is much nicer than I thought it would be. Just tip the maids (10 or 20 pesos a day), and the waiters (even at the swim-up bar)and they'll take great care of you.

I'm here (obviously) right now, and am having a great time.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Info on Velas Vallarta Resort

mboen - tell us about Casa Velas.

We were at VV a couple weeks ago (AI). I walked past Casa Velas and it looked very nice. We were told we could eat in the restaurants but we would have to pay. Since the food was so good as VV we never bothered but now I wish I would have at least checked it out.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Info on Velas Vallarta Resort

Hey beachlova

Good to hear u are having a good time. Will be there on 7/22. What kind of room are you staying in? We are booked in the 3 bdroom and was wondering what it is like.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,254 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Info on Velas Vallarta Resort

mboen, so glad you are having a great time. I was there 2 weeks ago and had a wonderful time. I love that place...I own a timeshare there and thinking of buying another one. It is so beautiful and I miss it so much. I have to wait 4 more months to return...enjoy the rest of your trip. Make sure you write a review when you return.