We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM's in PV question -

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,123 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
ATM's in PV question -

When i was in PV in March, i went to the ATM's for peso withdrawal - with all of the ATM's i tried, not one of them did you have to use your card to enter the booth - is there a reason for that?? When i first went to the Santander ATM by the bridge & saw that it was "open", i continued walking thinking i would find an ATM that was locked - couldn't find one! Any reason for that??

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM's in PV question -

Broken locks.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,031 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM's in PV question -

Most of the ones that have doors these days, even if the lock isn't broken it isn't activated either.

Banorte on Olas Altas, none of them were activated. You just pulled on the door.

Doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the machine lopo. Just the door.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM's in PV question -

I haven't come across one that actually locks in years. Doesn't mean you can't use it.

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,123 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM's in PV question -

Thanks all - i was kind of spooked about it at first, maybe because i was alone & not with hubby this trip -

New Cumberland
Level Contributor
750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM's in PV question -

We travel all over the world and have seldom seen ATMs that are in locked booths. It does happen sometimes in Europe, but the norm all over the world is that they are in open areas.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,179 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM's in PV question -

As above, I never thought about it. ATMs I use at home are right out in the open, not even in a booth, locked or not. -suze

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,031 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM's in PV question -

ATMs in Canada attached to banks require you to swipe your bank card to access the ATM area.

Very common, and they are only unlocked (ie: do not require a swipe to enter) during normal business hours.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM's in PV question -

Here in SoCal is just like Suze described, no booth thus no lock. Right down the street BoA has a stand-alone drive up ATM, no bank in that shopping center to attach it to.

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,114 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM's in PV question -

And don't forget that sometimes the card swipe slot on the door is actually a card scanner installed and used by thieves. Some time ago someone on the forum suggested using a grocery store rewards card to swipe and enter.

I was actually relieved that the door at the Santander ATM wasn't locked. I didn't have to worry about a scam card scanner.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,179 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ATM's in PV question -

I have never had to scan my card to get into an ATM booth in PV. Even when/if there are doors that close... they were ones that closed behind me after I was inside. I've never had to scan to enter. -suze