We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 days in PV, what are must do's?

Fort Smith, Arkansas
Level Contributor
355 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
9 days in PV, what are must do's?

Three of us, all 30's range, are coming to PV for our first time this August. We are the type of travelers that never make repeat visits to places because there is so much to see in the world, so we like to get in as much as we can for each place we visit. We are staying at Hotel Portonovo. We like adventure, good food, snorkeling, booze cruises, etc. With that being said, what are some must-do's while we are staying in Puerto Vallarta? Would like to find a lot within walking distance but also hoping to venture out some and do some other things, either by car rental or bus. If you were only going to PV once in your life, what is not to be missed? Thanks :)

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 days in PV, what are must do's?

Well, firstly your hotel is in a great location. Right in the heart of it all.

The excursions I have most enjoyed are the Los Veranos Canopy Tour - I've done this twice and had a blast both times. Also, I have been told by others that this is the better of the two zip line companies in PV, and Rhythems Of The Night - for something a little romantic. The horseback riding tour was also a really fun day.

Check out these companies (they are the most reputable in PV and all their trips are great):

http://www.puertovallartatours.net/

https://www.vallarta-adventures.com/

They are the best resource for day trips and activities in Vallarta.

I hope you love PV as much as I do. It's my favorite place on earth!

HAVE FUN!!!!

Edited: 11 May 2011, 18:48
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,497 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 days in PV, what are must do's?

Just to clarify, the first link you were given in the post above is to a tour/ticket reseller, not a tour company. The second link is to an actual tour company.

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 days in PV, what are must do's?

There is so much to do & see in PV and also in surrounding areas - I'm going to interpret your words to mean that you don't plan on revisiting the entire area, once you've been to PV - that might change when you see all there is to do - that said, We loved a trip that is south of PV to Hotel Mayto & Tejuamixtle - it's a long drive (about 3 and 1/2 hours away in private car) & we did it in one day with friends who took us there & knew the way. We left at about 10AM & returned about 6 or 7PM) - the most gorgeous untouched beach i think i've ever seen at Hotel Mayto - the freshest lobster ever at Tejua right on the water at a place called Adriana's - Other side trips are north of PV to Sayulita, little surf town about an hour or so away & another trip to Bucerias, about 20 minutes outside of PV - I know there are ways to do these trips using the busses but we have always just hired a driver or taken a cab - keep in mind that August is going to be REALLY REALLY HOT & HUMID - you have to stay hydrated and not just with alcohol - i'm a bit older than you so our summer trips are very different from our winter trips to PV in that we don't do as many active things in the summer besides swimming - have a great trip!!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
257 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 days in PV, what are must do's?

We've done all three of the adventures recommended by the first post and all were great. Rhythms of the night combines a booze cruise with a great show and dinner on the beach in an amazing location. Yes it can be romantic but also fun with friends. Los Veranos is the best canopy tour of the two available. I ditto everything said by the first post. -have fun

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,445 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 days in PV, what are must do's?

please visit www.vallarta-info.com

it is the website of jr--the destination expert you see to the right. he gives all the particulars that you have asked .

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
12,062 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 days in PV, what are must do's?

If I were to only go there once and in 9 days only going to see the close area not surrounding areas I would...

Do a canopy tour

Pirates of the Caribbean booze cruise

Rhythms of the Night

Spend a day at least just walking around the town, along the malecon, checking out the huge sandcastles, drinking, eating , shopping,etc.

Spend at least one day enjoying the beach, sun, sand, pooll, drinks , vendors etc.

I might do a tequila tour since it is the state of Jalisco the state of tequila.

I would check out a Mexican supermarket and also the open market...

I would try to see a Mexican folklure show/presentation, most of the resorts offer them. ( I do not attend them anymore but did for many years LOL).

I would also keep in the back of my mind that there is just so much to do and see that I would have to return.....LOL

Have a great trip!!!

Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Level Contributor
1,904 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 days in PV, what are must do's?

One of the main reasons we come back to PV time after time is the huge variety of excellent restauarants. Everything from street vendors to upscale fine dining. Eveyone on this forum has their favorites! But I would try to come up with a combination of different types of places - places with a view, authentic Mexican fare, fun places to have drinks and watch the sunset, etc.

Some of our favorites Trio, Vista Grill, Barcelona Tapas, Agave Grill, plus we aalways hit Victor's in the Marina our fist night (we stay at the Marriott.)

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,168 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 9 days in PV, what are must do's?

I think another must do is to take the bus at least once. It's a great way to be part of the local community and experience a slice of their daily life. Unlike the other side of Mexico where you've been, it is much more common for tourists to use public transportation in PV.

My suggestion would be to ride it south to Boca de Tomatlan where it turns around and heads back to PV. It will take about 30 minutes from the corner of Basilio Badillo and Constitucion and will say Mismaloya and maybe Boca de Tomatlan. In Boca you can stroll to the beach and have a snack. The buses run every 15 minutes so you can leave whenever you want. It will let you off back in town around the corner from where it picked you up. This gives you a chance to get a feel for the south side of Puerto Vallarta where it is mountainess and lush...beautiful!

There are other things you can do instead of going to the beach and village of Boca by using this bus route. Depends on what you like..... so look into the Vallarta Zoo and Yelapa. You can also go to the Botanical Gardens which you can take the El Tuito bus to get to or catch that bus at Boca.

http://www.vallartabotanicalgardensac.org/

http://www.zoologicodevallarta.com/

http://www.yelapa.info/

Happy travels whatever you decide!

Edited: 12 May 2011, 16:40
TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 9 days in PV, what are must do's?

In addition to these suggestions I would recommend visiting the Malecon on a Sunday evening - it's very lively and a true experience - great food vendors are set up, and the locals bring their families and enjoy the day off. I never tire of the wonderful "vibe" of the famila noches.......

Fort Smith, Arkansas
Level Contributor
355 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 9 days in PV, what are must do's?

Thank you very much for everyone that took the time to post. I will look into each suggestion that you made and will contact you privately if I have specific questions about your recommendations! We really look forward to our experience there. We went to Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel last year and had a blast, hoping for the same in Puerto Vallarta :)