We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping the taxi driver

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gladstone, Michigan
Level Contributor
78 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping the taxi driver

I've heard differing opinions, and I want to get it right:

If I were taking a taxi from... Say Lindo Mar to the cathedral- do I tip the driver?? It's a short short trip, but I assumed you always tip..?

(Of course to/from the airport when luggage is involved) but wondering about the quick trips.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping the taxi driver

Tipping is only necessary when you ask for special treatment, like waiting at a store while you shop, or airport runs where they are handling your luggage. Otherwise, I say no.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,980 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping the taxi driver

I only tip under 3 circumstances:

1) If they go out of their way to help me hauling my luggage or groceries.

2) If it's a long-ish trip (say, from downtown to Nuevo) and they are friendly and informative and I know they quoted me a price less than the going rate (this has happened several times, so I just give them what I know the going rate to be which is usually 10 or 20 pesos more).

3) If I'm completely unprepared for how much it usually costs (this only happened once) and do not have change --- my fault.

Otherwise, nope. And, nobody has ever complained, since "non-tipping" for a standard Point A to Point B taxi ride is the standard practice in Puerto Vallarta.

Edited: 09 June 2011, 14:35
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping the taxi driver

It's not part of the local culture to tip taxi drivers, never has been. Exceptions for when you get special treatment.

Edited: 09 June 2011, 14:44
Seattle
Level Contributor
41,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping the taxi driver

To taxi around the south-side was always 40 peso, and that's what I gave the driver. That seemed to be what was expected. From and to the airport, I did tip a couple bucks on top of the fare.

suze

North Providence...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping the taxi driver

We only tip when extra services are given.

When traveling to and from the Airport with baggage involved would be an instance for tipping. IMO.

Michael

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,953 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping the taxi driver

As noted upthread, it's always helpful to have exact fare or as close to exact fare as you can get, as you won't always get a driver who has change or can break a large bill.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,829 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping the taxi driver

Few taxis in Mexico and none in PV have meters. Therefore the custom is for a driver to give a "quote" for the service. The quote will sometimes vary depending on the driver's desire to go to your location or maybe by what he thinks you will pay. The quote is inclusive of all costs. You don't tip the house painter on his quote and you don't tip the taxi on the taxi quote.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,953 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping the taxi driver

It's not considered a quote. There is a list of tariffs (fares) that are dictated by zone, and set by the city. This is what the driver is supposed to charge for the fare.

If a driver quotes you something other than the established zone rate from point A to point B (taking into consideration any crossing of zones will increase the fare), they are padding the fare and building in their own "tip". Hotels, condos and resorts will either have the tariff sheets posted somewhere accessible to read, or you can ask.

Technically, taxi drivers are supposed to carry this list in their cars. Be tough to find one that does though - so that's the best reason to get familiar with what the established zone fares are up front.

Edited: 09 June 2011, 18:10
Seattle
Level Contributor
41,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping the taxi driver

It's not a "quote" in PV, the fares are set by zones. You do want to double-check before riding (especially like for the airport, I was told by different drivers 200, 160, and 120... it's supposed to be 120). But for around town, it's set and I've never had anyone not charge that amount.

suze

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,829 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping the taxi driver

If all drivers used set zone fares then no one would be advising to get the fare quoted in advance. The reality is drivers do vary the price. A group of us hailed 3 taxis from north of the river to Casa Isabel. 40 pesos, 50 pesos and 70 pesos.