We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying womens shoes in PV

Gladstone, Michigan
Level Contributor
78 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Buying womens shoes in PV

On our recent trip, I went on a hunt for some cute wedge sandals at one of the local shops. I was successful in finding the styles I like at a great price... But was shocked when the worker told me that you cannot get a shoe bigger than size 9 in Mexico...?!? I'm normally a 8.5US but they must run small there...

Anyway, does anyone know if this is true? He said they literally dont make shoes bigger than that in Mexico... I mean, c'mon- 9 isn't THAT big!!!

What are tall people to do?

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying womens shoes in PV

That is pretty accurate but there are plenty of stores that sell imported shoes in Puerto Vallarta that do stock some larger sizes. The women here are smaller and shorter than most foreigners so they tend to have smaller feet hence, smaller shoes :)

Gladstone, Michigan
Level Contributor
78 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying womens shoes in PV

I like the idea of shoes "made in Mexico". I'm all about supporting local economy. I guess I shall start wrapping/binding my feet Chinese style :)

ON
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying womens shoes in PV

My hubby made the mistake of not bringing his runners on our trip in April thinking he would just pick up a pair. He wears a size 10.5 and couldn't find a pair that were wide enough.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying womens shoes in PV

Well, if you bought them here, you would still be helping the local economy ;) But I know what you mean. There are some hurracherias that make them to order. Also try La Bohemia on Constisucion, between Basilio Badillo and Carranza, they sell San Miguel shoes and may have larger sizes. They are awesome shoes made in San Miguel de Allende and perfect for Vallarta and summer. Google San Miguel Shoes and you will find info/styles/etc.

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying womens shoes in PV

It's a good thing that I haven't had to buy shoes in Mexico, since I wear a women's 10 or 11.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,295 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying womens shoes in PV

Was she quoting Mexican sizes or US sizes? I wear a 10 US and have bought several pairs of shoes in Mexico and have to buy a 7.5-8 in Mexican size. I believe a Mexican 9 us a US 11.

If she was quoting US sizes, then she was just wrong. Because I have them in my coset to prove it.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying womens shoes in PV

Deb, Mexican sizes are usually three sizes down from a US size. a MX 3 is a 6 and a MX 4 is a 7, etc. There are not a lot of places that carry a size 10 or 11- they can be found but usually not stocked in the same amounts as the smaller ones.

When I was in Leon (shoe capital of Mexico) I was requested to find some size 11 womens shoes for a friend and it was hard to find them there. They are also often more narrow so people have to often go up a size to get them to fit.

If you think finding bigger shoes is hard, try finding bigger bra sizes!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,295 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying womens shoes in PV

Well, I'm taking my size 8's back then and telling them I definitely wear a 7!! I'm just going by my experience. I did check a couple of online conversion charts before I responded to see what they said, but they varied somewhat, so I just went back to my own buying experience.

And thank the gods I don't have to find a bra there. I'd have to go see the parasailing guys!

Edited: 14 June 2011, 05:37
Gladstone, Michigan
Level Contributor
78 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying womens shoes in PV

I was specifically looking for 4" high strappy wedge heels- and could only find them up to a US9 and the store worker told me that was the biggest size they made in Mexico. He may be wrong, but I'm not wrong in what he told me.

Maybe it's easier to find walking shoes, flip flops, etc in bigger sizes- I believe that you were lucky enough to find some.... But I checked 3-4 shops and could not. I was simply excited to bring home some Mexican made cute summer shoes :)

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,448 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying womens shoes in PV

<----is going to be buying of her clothes in Mexico from now on!!! YES to being a size 4 again ....and still being able to eat ;D

>>>>Mexican sizes are usually three sizes down from a US size. a MX 3 is a 6 and a MX 4 is a 7<<<<<

i