We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the name of this fruit?

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,317 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
What is the name of this fruit?

I haven't needed to buy fruit in PV before since we usually eat out. But.....when my friend and I were in Puerto Morelos planning her son's wedding, their son's "butler" at the resort brought us this fruit....it was soooo good, but I can't remember the name of it. Below is a link to the photo of it.

https:/…

Edited: 17 June 2011, 15:20
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the name of this fruit?

It's called a Dragon Fruit in English and Pitaya here

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,317 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the name of this fruit?

Ah yes that's it......Pitaya! I just researched it and I guess I won't be able to get it when we're there in December, since the season for it is May and June.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,317 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the name of this fruit?

Oh wait....that season doesn't make sense because we were served it at the end of October.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the name of this fruit?

I recently bought some in the Lake Chapala area. The vendor told mt that their season was just about over. It was really good, and comes in white, green and hot pink color.

TX
Level Contributor
5,760 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the name of this fruit?

I have never seen such a thing, and I thought I knew my fruits! What does it taste like? (Can you compare it to the taste of anything more familiar?) Looks intriguing!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the name of this fruit?

Tastes a bit like a 'Tuna' - Prickly Pear

BC
Level Contributor
4,962 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the name of this fruit?

It is sold in my local fruit and vegetable store here in BC, Canada.

My daughter is very curious about fruits and likes to try them all. It didn't taste particularly good and we only bought it once. Of course we have access to so many fruits from all over the world, which is why we chose not to buy it again. But if our choice was more limited that decision could be different.

Our local fruit juice company also sells a juice made with dragon fruit, probably the juice (like most juices on the market) comes from China. The dragon fruit is pictured on the front of the juice box, so more people here would be familiar with what it looks like, compared to five years ago.

www.sunrype.com/viewproduct.php?variety=91

Edited: 17 June 2011, 20:17
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the name of this fruit?

Maybe it didn't taste good because it wasn't fresh, probably travelled a long way to your store.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,317 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the name of this fruit?

Just saw JR's post about freshness....but I'll post this anyway.

I hadn't tasted anything like it before and it is hard to say what it compares to.....it had a citrus taste to me, but no particular citrus flavor that we're familiar with. My friend and I liked it a lot. The "butler" indicated it was rather a special thing to have. The resort also served a jarred Jam or Jelly in that flavor but we didn't think that had any taste at all. That "tuna" that JR mentioned is just a name, nothing to do with the taste LOL....in case you're wondering.

I think most of the fruits that are imported don't end up with their original taste....too much time spent between picking and shipping imo. When I have picked late tomatoes off the vine before a frost, and set them on a shelf to ripen.....by the time they are ripe....they never taste like the tomato that is allowed to ripen on the vine. Until I grew corn myself and picked it off the stalk, cleaned it and dropped it into boiling water.....I didn't know corn could taste that wonderful. I would venture to guess that pumpermum didn't get the best from the ones they bought in BC.

According to my research the red ones are thought to be the best.

Edited: 17 June 2011, 21:29
BC
Level Contributor
4,962 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the name of this fruit?

"Maybe it didn't taste good because it wasn't fresh, probably travelled a long way to your store"

Yes, I am sure that this would have a lot to do with it. I cannot remember what the country of origin was, but it was winter here, so must have been far away!

We live in the midst of fruit growing orchards, and I can tell you there is nothing like the fresh peaches, pears, apricots and cherries that only travel a couple of blocks into your kitchen.

Although, the mangoes from Mexico are pretty yummy, even once they get up here.

My son is off for his first visit to Mexico in 2 weeks time, and is pretty excited.