We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety

So. Calif.
Level Contributor
23 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
safety

is it safe to travel in Mexico now given that Tepic has problems and P.V. is less th an 2 hours away?

Gladstone, Michigan
Level Contributor
81 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150793-i46-k45762…

San Diego
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety

We were just there in April over Easter week and had a great time and no safety problems. Have booked to return end of September.

Really, we love PV and of course we are careful - don't get too drunk, etc. Like anywhere you go and/or at home.

I have read somewhere recently that PV is very safe. Sorry I can't remeber the source.

Anyway, always, wherever you go, keep yourself aware of your surroundings, don't flash around money, jewelry, etc.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,939 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safety

Please read many other threads on this topic. A search will show them, including Top Questions over to the right of this window.

I've been traveling alone to Puerto Vallarta for many years, for a month or so. I feel very safe, walking and busing all over town.

At contrast, I live less than 20 miles and 20 minutes (much less than two hours) from two of the cities in the USA which have the highest homocide rate in the US. Does that keep me shrinking in my house? No --- it's a very isolated area.

Puerto Vallarta is very safe, based on my nearly 30 years of experience traveling there and by statistics --- for responsible tourists who use common sense.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safety

Tepic is about three hours + away by car. I was just outside of Tepic at Santa Maria del Oro last week --no worries! (Unless you are a major drug dealer.)

Vallarta is very safe.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,551 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safety

We take at least one "Sunday drive" per week in the surrounding area, 4 to 9 hours. We, too, drove through Tepic a week ago, and I was no more scared around there than I am within Puerto Vallarta itself. So enjoy, and don´t be afraid to venture away from tourist areas if that´s what you are comfortable and inclined to do.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,226 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safety

Vallarta is safe. What happened in Tepic was a single incident, is a long drive from PV, and had no effect on tourists.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,226 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safety

Oops didn't finish my thought... I was in Puerto Vallarta for 10 days solo last month. I felt as safe, no more no less, than I have over the past 20 years of vacationing there.

suze

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
12,461 posts
522 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safety

Yes it is safe to travel in Mexico, Tepic is 3 hours plus by car from PV.....if you are a drug dealer then I would say not safe...otherwise, no change.....

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: safety

Here is a good article to read:

caribbeannewsdigital.com/en/noticia/puerto-v…

So. Calif.
Level Contributor
23 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: safety

thank you for your messages. Yes,as it turns oout my friends traveled there recently and all had a great time.