We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Allergic to almonds anything I should avoid?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kitimat, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Allergic to almonds anything I should avoid?

I just got a new allergy to almonds this year. I have never had a nut allergy before. Is there anything that is a common meal that contains almonds?. I don't want a migraine on my vacation.

Thanks

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
226 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Allergic to almonds anything I should avoid?

I'd watch the pastries and other dessert items, as I am sure you know. Only place I have ever seen almonds in food, is Chinese restaurants and foil bags with Blue Diamond on them,

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Allergic to almonds anything I should avoid?

You might want to avoid any mole sauces - they often have many secret ingredients, including nuts, and one might be almonds.

The Spanish word for almonds is "almendras" - just to be safe, you might ask your wait staff to be sure your meal is "sin almendras" (without almonds).

Have a great vacation.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Allergic to almonds anything I should avoid?

Are you also allergic to walnuts? Chiles en nogada is made with a creamed walnut sauce.

Some pastries here also have almonds or use almond extract.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,705 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Allergic to almonds anything I should avoid?

On a cooking show recently, Rick Bayliss was making mole and I thought he used crushed almonds as a thickener.

BC
Level Contributor
325 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Allergic to almonds anything I should avoid?

Thank you D for the Spanish words for (without almonds). I too found out a couple of years ago that I was allergic to almonds......never was before. I can eat other nuts but still watch how much. Almonds tend to be see as one of the healthier nuts so are in many dishes, one needs to sure to ask.......if not sure do not eat is my motto! Lots of choices in PV we go each year and I have not had any problems....

6. Re: Allergic to almonds anything I should avoid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 13:15