We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise to Puerto Vallarta

Payson, Utah
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Cruise to Puerto Vallarta

First time Cruisers on Carnival one of the stops is Puerto Vallarta from 7am-4:30pm

Just wondering what things there are to do and what we shouldn't miss! Thank you so much for your help!!! :D

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,719 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise to Puerto Vallarta

If you really want to see PV rather than just do an excursion, than catch a bus to downtown. Exit the marina and turn left and walk 1 block up to the main road. The blue bus will be marked "Centro" and runs every 10 minutes or so. It will be 6.5 pesos per person. Try to have smaller bills and pesos only.

Get off downtown and walk around. The malecon is under construction but much is finished. Lots of shops to visit. Continue going south to the river. Before you cross is the large flea market. Then cross the river and walk along it. Again lots of shops. All along the way from when you get off the bus will be lots of bars/restaurants to have a bite and a cold one.

When you walk down the river to the water, walk up the steps and go left to Los Muertos beach. Again lots of places to sit at a table under an umbrella with your toes in the sand and relax with food and drink. Vendors will come to you and you can shop from your seat.

To get back to the ship, take a taxi. It will be about 80 pesos.

Enjoy your day in PV.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise to Puerto Vallarta

A lot of the 'Blue' busses are now white with a blue strip.

Payson, Utah
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise to Puerto Vallarta

Thank you so much! :D

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,346 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise to Puerto Vallarta

Channy,

Is the ship really in port for that short of time? Having taken 3 cruises on Carnival to PV, they used to stay in port until 10pm. Hmmm....guess things have changed with the economy and all.

With such a short amount of time in port, I'd recommend you skip the bus (as it takes longer) and catch a YELLOW (regular) taxi. It will get you where you want to be in half the time as the bus. In addition, the buses can be confusing the first visit. Takes awhile to get used to them. They are not designed for tourists.

The way you get the yellow taxi is ---- leave the Maritime Terminal through the iron gates and turn left to walk down that street, similar to what senorbobo said. At the main drag (very busy street), turn right and you will see a huge supermarket (Super Soriana). There will be plenty of yellow cabs there. Tell them to take you to Los Muertos Beach (the locals call it "Southside" as it is south of the Rio Cuale). From there you can walk all over the place and make your way north to downtown.

Do NOT take the WHITE cabs/vans as you exit the iron gates at the Maritime Terminal. They will cost much more. Walk to the main drag, turning left on the little street as you exit.

I go to PV for several weeks/months each year and love the buses, but I would not recommend them with your first visit, with such a short time in port. You don't have time to get lost.

Take a YELLOW taxi, since you'll be wanting to make the best of your time. Next trip? --- the buses are great.

As said above, there is no need to take a formal excursion. With such a short time in port, wandering around the area south and north of the Rio Cuale will give you plenty to see, eat and do.

Enjoy.

Corona, California
Level Contributor
484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise to Puerto Vallarta

We're taking the Carnival Splendor this Sunday 9/11 and we are scheduled to be in PV from 9AM to 9PM. Is there another Carnival ship going there? I know that the Paradise is being replaced so maybe you're on a repositioning cruise? The Spirit will be going there but I believe it's still in Alaska. Just curious.

Corona, California
Level Contributor
484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise to Puerto Vallarta

We're taking the Carnival Splendor this Sunday 9/11 and we are scheduled to be in PV from 9AM to 9PM. Is there another Carnival ship going there? I know that the Paradise is being replaced so maybe you're on a repositioning cruise? The Spirit will be going there but I believe it's still in Alaska. Just curious.

Edited: 06 September 2011, 18:23
Sonoma county, Ca.
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise to Puerto Vallarta

We're on the Splendor two weeks after you... same 9-9 port-o-call. Too bad they decided to stay in Cabo two nights instead of two nights in PV...

Corona, California
Level Contributor
484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise to Puerto Vallarta

I totally agree! We'll probably go ashore the first day and stay on board the second day. Love PV. Cabo is just OK.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruise to Puerto Vallarta

Too bad they're staying in Cabo two nights....Cabo is great! Only steep airfares prevented me from going there this winter. Don't knock it til you try it.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
58 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruise to Puerto Vallarta

Both Cabo and PV are great and isn't that one of the reason's people cruise - so they can go to both?

Take a cab - they aren't expensive and it will give you more time.