We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish Grocery Guide

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
BC
Level Contributor
325 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Spanish Grocery Guide

Does anyone have any ideas on a easy to follow spanish grocery guide......possible pocket size. We are going back to PV in Jan and would like to be more prepared for our shopping this time.

Last year was the first time we rented a condo and was shopping in one of local supermarkets and could not understand some of the items eg, kind of cheeses, condiments etc. It was a fun experience but would like to have something to refer to. I go onto the Walmart website to view specials just to get familiar.......

Edit: Should be Spanish/English.......

Edited: 09 September 2011, 00:34
mexico
Level Contributor
659 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Spanish Grocery Guide

here is a online site that can be printed

warning

takes about 35 pages

here it is from rollybrook site

http://www.rollybrook.com/lexicon.htm

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spanish Grocery Guide

I like this book, Eat Smart in Mexico:

amazon.com/Eat-Smart-Mexico-Decipher-Adventu…

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,245 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spanish Grocery Guide

Viajero, thank you for that link. That looks like a great book. I'm adding it to my Amazon list immediately.

BC
Level Contributor
325 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spanish Grocery Guide

The links are great! Thank you.....

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,733 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spanish Grocery Guide

sunfun,

Loved your post and your attitude and, like you, I love having a kitchen in PV. Sure the food everywhere is great, but it's fun to experiment.

One the most enjoyable parts of my trips to PV (and some people think I'm nuts) is just wandering around the supermarkets (Mega and Soriana and Ley, etc.) and also through the Central Market (Emiliano Zapata Mercado, up on Lazaro Cardenas). You learn so much about the local culture (and families shopping while you are) and it also keeps you on your toes, with translating pesos to dollars.

I'd never thought of getting a Spanish-English translation table (for food items) but I admit, when some of these places are busy (such as you mention ---- the cheese area, say, in Walmart) and everyone has a mask on them (as they do, being quite sanitation-minded in the cheese/meat areas) it can be difficult to figure out what to buy, if you have certain items in mind.

Since I go down there for a month at a time, I just wander the aisles and generally buy what looks good (or what I've learned in Spanish class). Tonight, believe it or not, I'm cooking chayote which I bought from a nearby store in the SF Bay. This is a very diverse area.

Good luck on your grocery adventure and thanks for bringing up this subject! Very helpful.

BC
Level Contributor
325 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spanish Grocery Guide

Marly, I agree it is nice to have a kitchen. We have many good eats out as well but have days where we just want to hang out at the condo by the pool and cook a meal. The fruits and veggies are so fresh everything tastes awesome.

We shop at Leys. It is very interesting to see what others buy....I wonder how things are cooked. Once I can speak more Spanish I would like to ask more questions.

We are staying for three weeks this year.......each year one additional week. Can not get enough of our favorite place. We are working up to a month next year......love experiencing the culture.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,733 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spanish Grocery Guide

Ley is definitely a challenge, mostly because the aisles are so narrow so it's much more difficult to "wander" (as I like to do). The aisles are about half the width of aisles at Soriana and Mega. No time to study the shelves and look at the pictures on everything as people are trying to get by and there isn't space for two carts side-by-side.

I'm intrigued by your project. For me, I started with the Spanish lessons and then began spending a ton of time in the groceries (sometimes way too much time) to reinforce the lessons. But, it sounds like (in your case) you're going to work on the Spanish afterward, inspired by your grocery adventures.

No matter what order you learn it in --- have a blast shopping in the stores and thanks for the original question which motivated other people to offer helpful info. Will study those links.

Frankly, I figure the food in Mexican groceries/markets is much less processed than in the US (not sure about Canada) and I always feel healthier down there, either cooking for myself or eating in the local restaurants.

Happy shopping and eating (and cooking in your condo).

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
934 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spanish Grocery Guide

Great topic . Thank you.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spanish Grocery Guide

I doubt that most of the prepared food in the grocery store is any less processed than other areas. Oreo cookies are still oreo cookies. Produce and such will always be healthier but the bread and baked goods are usually worse as they often use manteca (shortening) instead of butter. All the deli meats, hot dogs and bacon are like anywhere else.... except some swear the bacon here is better, I disagree as I like thick cut applewood smoked bacon which is a premium here if you can find it.

Many items are easily identifiable in Spanish. Keep in mind salsa simply means sauce- not always "salsa". If you want a salsa closest to Pace- look for Salsa de Casera or Salsa Mexicana- Buffalo and Herdez are the best. I would say they are mild to medium when it comes to heat.

Walmart has the most familiar imported goods and they carry some Great Value products.

The deli items are in Kilos but you can order less. I tend to order by grams. So if you want about a quarter pound of ham, you would order 200 gramos de jamon de pavo. (dos cientos gramos)

The cold milk with the blue cap is "light" which is 2%. There is NO SKIM cold milk. The red cap cold milk is whole milk.

The only skim milk is one in the tetra pac (box-warm) which will have a 0% on it. Rice milk, soy milk and almond milk is available in the tetra pacs- not cold.

Butter is mantequilla, and margarine is margarina.

Let me know if you have any specific questions....

BC
Level Contributor
325 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spanish Grocery Guide

bzy, you have clarified many of my thoughts. I wondered about the butter as we prefer butter than margarine but could not figure out which was which. The other was ordering tortillas by the kilo or gram. Do you know if the tortillas at Leys is made from wheat or corn.....thanks for the tip on salsa, it is made fresh at Leys too just not sure how hot it is.

We will start by looking for spanish words for the things we like then will explore new things....

Good info.....