We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurrricane Hillary Coming???

california
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hurrricane Hillary Coming???

We are coming to PV tomorrow and just read about a new tropical storm "Hillary" that formed in the western pacific that will most likely become a hurricane. What has anyone locally heard about this? Should we cancel and not come tomorrrow? We are suppose to be in PV tomorrow thru next Friday.

Thanks!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurrricane Hillary Coming???

Don't be silly. At this point, it's not even projected to make landfall. A few years ago (3) we were in PV during a hurricane off the coast. It was amazing. The lightning show, rain, waves, etc. But it did not make landfall and just left us with a spectacular show. Don't cancel. Go and have fun!

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,569 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurrricane Hillary Coming???

Here is a good website to track tropical weather. wunderground.com/tropical/…ep201109.html

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurrricane Hillary Coming???

Looks like you might get some rain on Saturday, she should be headed out to sea by Sunday.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurrricane Hillary Coming???

Tropical Storms and Hurricanes hardly ever affect us, no fears at all, we are well protected here inside the bay.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,816 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurrricane Hillary Coming???

Even when an outer band of a tropical storm affects the local weather, the results really are gorgeous. Like noted by TravelRdy you do get rain, wind etc. but you also often wind up with the most beautiful sunsets.

That happened on my October '09 trip...rain and sloppy weather all day and then like it was timed, the clouds parted about an hour before sunset, and it was gorgeous.

The NOAA website is the go-to site for tropical storm information. I wouldn't ever use anything else.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,694 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurrricane Hillary Coming???

When you hear about a tropical storm (or hurricane, so to speak) on the Pacific Coast, take it with a grain of salt.

Storms on the west of Mexico are nothing compared to the East Coast of Mexico, having been through storms on both sides.

I was in Hurricane Tico in Fall, 1983 (a HUGE Pacific hurricane --- also hit PV, where I was at the time) but it was still mild and we had plenty of sun as it passed by.

Don't let a mild storm stop you from coming down. Viva PV. Bring your camera --- sometimes, in a storm, you get awesome pictures.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurrricane Hillary Coming???

The last few hurricanes that came by here this year were less than one of our normal rain storms.....

vancouver
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurrricane Hillary Coming???

we fly in on saturday do you think it would be strong enough to cancel flights?

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hurrricane Hillary Coming???

I'm certainly no meteorologist, but looking at the NOAA site I provided on post 3, I wouldn't worry about it.

california
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hurrricane Hillary Coming???

Thanks everyone for your responses. We are indeed coming tomorrow especially after reading your comments. Your comments are very much appreciated!