We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bullfights

NJ
Level Contributor
543 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Bullfights

Are there bullfight arenas in the area?

Chicago
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bullfights

There is a bullfight arena, but not something I would recomend. Its pretty bloody and they insist the bull doesn't feel much pain, but I cannot see how they don't. My wife didn't make it past the first fight and ran from the seat. Its amazing what the bullfighter can do, but you can't help but feel sorry for the bull. The bull ever gets the upper hand and guys come flying in the ring from all directions to distract it. Something I will never watch again.

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bullfights

I have to agree with dwhite. It was one of the most horrifying things I have ever watched. The stadium is very small, you could smell the blood and other fluids from the bulls. Somehow I managed to stick it out until the final fight, when they had trouble killing the bull. It bellowed and ran and they stabbed and sliced on it for quite a while before it lay down. They it just kept bellowing and lifting its head, too weak to get up, before they finally were able to end it.

I am not in the least an animal activist, but I personally will never go to anything like this again, and dont recommend it if you are in the least queasy about killing animals. I had a hard time eating in the buffet for the rest of my trip, thinking that this is where the meat ended up.

On the good side, it is a pretty fun atmosphere, and the costumes are colorful.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bullfights

The bull ring is shown on this map.

http://vallartainfo.com/marina.html

Be sure to try the burgers, they're really fresh ;-D

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bullfights

No bullfights until after the rainy season has finished, probably November.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,781 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bullfights

When they are held, I believe it is on Wednesday.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bullfights

virtualvallarta.com/puertovallarta/tours-act…

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,020 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bullfights

We went to the bullfights in PV about a decade ago.

Yes, it's good to be prepared- they do kill the bulls. There were four fights/ four killed the time we went.

I am a farm girl and have shot and butchered deer, and also worked in a meat cutting plant for a summer on the kill floor- it was not nearly as bad as that...so it did not faze me.

But certainly if one has led a more sheltered life in terms of things like that, they might not be able to handle it, and should not attend. Forewarned is forearmed.

8. Re: Bullfights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 01:23