We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Vallarta Dangers

Washington
4 posts
Save Topic
Puerto Vallarta Dangers

Going to PV in Dec and everyone thinks we're crazy. I've seen the news and know whats going on but is it dangerous in the hotel zone in Nuevo Vallarta. Is it still safe to go to town or on excursions?

Mentioned in this post
Nuevo Vallarta
Nuevo Vallarta
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Vallarta Dangers

One answer yes ! Those 'everyones' are wrong and been watching far to much TV. Here's a video a friend made.

http://youtu.be/Kn9u6dMeoQc

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Vallarta Dangers

Welcome to Tripadvisor. Type "safety" in the search box above, and read the question in the upper right column.

The people who post here either live in PV, or travel their regularly.

The worst thing that happened to me was that I was robbed of all desire to go back home to cold weather and work.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,706 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Vallarta Dangers

In a word….No.

Use the same common sense you would at home or anywhere else, and Puerto Vallarta is a very safe destination. You will find many on this forum live full or part time there, I don't yet, but have three trips planned for 2012.

Also please read the safety concerns section in the pop questions section on the right side.

Do your friends sound something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pzb3dIazGc

Edited: 06 October 2011, 17:30
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5,261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Vallarta Dangers

I have to say, I am sick and tired of the people who keep telling everyone it's dangerous! I get it a lot, and usually from those completely ignorant on the subject. Would you go to Orlando, Florida? If so, then you'd be putting youself in more danger than you would be in most of Mexico, including PV. Please read this article, and SHARE with people the true statistics.

http://isitsafetotraveltomexico.com/

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Vallarta Dangers

Sorry about saying "Yes" I misread the question. :)

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,706 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Vallarta Dangers

I really was not trying to contradict you, JR. You posted while I was typing, I just noticed your reply.

We know you feel unsafe in PV, that's why you've lived there for 18 years ;-)

Grass Valley...
Level Contributor
539 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Vallarta Dangers

And leads bi-monthly "cantina crawls" to little known places. Can't wait for the 28th. JR

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,560 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Vallarta Dangers

There were actually two questions asked in the original post:

-- "is it dangerous in the hotel zone in Nuevo Vallarta." -- No.

-- "Is it still safe to go to town or on excursions?" -- Yes.

So I agree with the answers provided by both JR and Ted.

Mentioned in this post
Nuevo Vallarta
Nuevo Vallarta
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
San Diego
Level Contributor
4,988 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Vallarta Dangers

Wow this question gets a bit ridiculous IMO. Not to offend the original poster, but frankly too many people are swayed by the media and the overblown reports of violence.

I actually live near Tijuana Mexico - it seems like much of the media reporting is really near the border towns (TJ, Juarez, etc). Your concerns MIGHT be more valid if you were traveling to one of those locations - however, with that said, I haven't heard of any problems in TJ lately and in fact on both trips we flew out of TJ airport.

Anyway, we just returned from 8 days in PV and it was fantastic. We did not want to leave and can't wait to return. We were also there in April as well. No problems, no concerns.

Of course, you have to be smart when you go anywhere, and that includes just being at home and walking in a parking lot @ night, etc. I felt safe riding buses alone in PV, walking around by myself, shopping, eating, etc. I'm sure you will too. Go and enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Tijuana
Tijuana
Baja California Norte, Mexico
Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto Vallarta Dangers

PV itself is a very safe city but you mention nuevo vallarta in your post. Nuevo Vallarta was built for tourists and has an added layer of security in that you must pass security checkpoints to enter and leave the nuevo vallarta area of resorts and residences. Very safe as well.

Mentioned in this post
Nuevo Vallarta
Nuevo Vallarta
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico