We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
saskatchewan
Level Contributor
478 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Tropicana - Economy v Regular Room

Been to PV many times, but haven't stayed in the old town area forever.

Looking fwd to it and Tropicana seems to fit our desires. Just wondering about the difference btwn economy and regular room as the economy room package is $50/pp cheaper.

Thanks, as always, for the help!

california
Level Contributor
14 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropicana - Economy v Regular Room

I believe their room designations are Standard and Superior. The Superior will get you an oceanview while the Standard may be a street view. For $50 pp I would take the Superior. The Tropicana is a real gem in the Los Muertos area.

Edited: 23 October 2011, 21:22
Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,543 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropicana - Economy v Regular Room

Stayed there years ago, so room "classes" may have changed a bit.

We had a 'Standard' room (3'rd floor, mid-hotel section, overlooking courtyard, pool, and beach, etc.) - our room had a totally-unobstructed, direct ocean view. The room itself was small'ish, but had a huge balcony - which we loved!! Stayed there for two weeks one December - and saw a good many whales from that balcony!!

Peaked in a couple of 'Superior' rooms - they were a touch more "modern" looking than ours. The ones we saw, had smaller, angled balconies.

The 'Economy' rooms were the rooms that had no ocean views at all -- they faced out to Amapas - the street in front of the hotel. Ugh!

Nice spot - great beach location - handy beach walk to food & drink, and etc.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropicana - Economy v Regular Room

Johnny is right, if they are offering the economy rooms, pay whatever you can to have at least Standard and/or Standard Ocean View. The economy rooms are like a closet, no view and even if you have to save extra $$$ or eat Kraft Dinner for a month, pay for the upgrade :)

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropicana - Economy v Regular Room

The standard room is under $100 a day. Not per person. That is the older tall tower that has a great view of beach and the bay. In my opinion, they have a better view than the superior room which is more money. Althogh the superior rooms have been renovated and are in nicer shape, we took the standard room the last two years in a row because of the view.

"Funman"

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
270 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropicana - Economy v Regular Room

Before they made the changes this year to the different "classes" of rooms, we had friends that were in the rooms at the back. Overtop of having no view, the windows actually had no glass in them. It opens up to the street, which can get very noisy at times. I would definetely splurge the $50.00 to get a "standard" room.

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropicana - Economy v Regular Room

I dont think the "economy" rooms have air conditioning either.... At least that is what I read in the description on one website that offered them.

Edited: 26 October 2011, 07:50
saskatchewan
Level Contributor
478 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tropicana - Economy v Regular Room

Thanks for the input.

I have booked the standard room, rather than the economy. But my receipt states simply "room", and the hotel's website makes no mention of economy rooms. Just standard, superior, and suites.

So I am a little leery that I paid for a slight upgrade but may still get stuck with a street-view room no bigger than a closet. Anyone have any further enlightenment? If I am not satisfied are they willing to move you for no extra $?

I've never stayed at the Trop before, so I will defer to you experts :)

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tropicana - Economy v Regular Room

To make sure, I would call the hotel. They speak english. Ask, and make sure the standard room you are asking and paying for has a ocean view room. I am pretty sure you are.

Following is the telephone number of the Tropicana reservations.

011-52-322-222-0912 when dialing from the US.

"Funman"

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tropicana - Economy v Regular Room

We have stayed at the Trop 20 times. But not last year or this - staying elsewhere. The economy rooms are gawd awful - facing Amapas as already pointed out - BUT there are 4-5 with windows that face into the hallway without windows to the street. - even worse. I am all with the "eat KD" suggestion or do it what it takes to be sure you do not get one of these rooms. Otherwise the standard room is basic and the "new tower" best if you can afford it. Standard rooms are 2.5-3* US/Canada standard - many in the past with plumbing problems. That said I would stay in them anytime and love it. Rooms in the tower vastly better. The Trop is a great property - staff are fantastic, pool great and the beach and large spacious and private palapas are the best on Los Muertos. Food is not great however - but who cares with wall to wall bars and restos outside the door.

Edited: 30 November 2011, 04:29
Seattle
Level Contributor
45,247 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tropicana - Economy v Regular Room

I agree. Follow up with your reservation. Contact the hotel by phone or email. Tell them you're looking forward to your first stay with them. Request that you do NOT want a street-facing room. I've always had good luck (not at Trop but generally) when I make a personal contact at the hotel and ask a few questions or just nicely request that I get a "quiet room" or the "highest floor in the room price category" or whatever. suze