We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lesser-known tour/excursion ideas?

Leduc, Alberta
Level Contributor
297 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Lesser-known tour/excursion ideas?

We are heading back to Puerto Vallarta for the 3rd time, staying at Dreams PV. We have done many of the "popular" tours, such as Las Caletas, Pirates, Rhythms of the Night, Yelapa, etc. We enjoyed all of them, but we are ready to try something new. Last trip we ventured to Sayulita for surfing, and will do that again. As you can see, we aren't scared to get out and about, will take public transit, and love to see new things. We are a family of 5, with children ranging in age from 8 to 16.

Does anyone have any favourties they would be willing to share? Also, some restaurant suggestions?

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,432 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lesser-known tour/excursion ideas?

We are returning to San Sebastian this spring, beautiful old city up in the Sierra Madre Mountains, founded in the 1600s.

http://vallartainfo.com/sansebasti.html

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,394 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lesser-known tour/excursion ideas?

you are so close to mismaloya and the zoo or

go to bucerias for the day

Leduc, Alberta
Level Contributor
297 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lesser-known tour/excursion ideas?

Thank you! I am going to put San Sebastian on the list, as well as Bucerias (we went right past on the way to Sayulita, but didn't stop). I'm not so keen on the zoo. We did a zip line last year with Vallarta Adventures...there's also one at Mismaloya too, right? Anyone know how it would compare? :)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,356 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lesser-known tour/excursion ideas?

The one near Mismaloya is likely Los Veranos. It's the best IMO. I've done it twice.

Also consider day tripping to El Tuito, Mayto, Tehuamixtle. Did it with Superior Tours last fall, excellent.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
376 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lesser-known tour/excursion ideas?

A few years ago we took a tour from PV up the coast on highway 200 - breakfast in Guayabitos- an hour north of PV airport- on to San Blas - a centre of power on the west coast in colonial times and a visit to the old fort there. Lunch at a beach restaurant near there and then a boat trip through mangroves to a crocodile farm - interesting.

We enjoyed the trip- a long time in the bus.

If you rented a car you could do the trip yourselves and find time to stop in at San Pancho, Guayabitos, La Penita on Tiangis day ( Thursday) and Chacala- once described as the most beautiful beach in all of Mexico with the worst road to get to it. However the road was paved some years ago so not a problem now.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lesser-known tour/excursion ideas?

Try a horseback ride up the Rio Cuale. BTW Mismaloya is on the way to the Los Veranos Canopy Tour, but not very close, it's located at Las Juntas y Los Veranos, on the way to El Tuito, they prove transport from town.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,030 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Lesser-known tour/excursion ideas?

Did the San Blas trip two years ago, had a great time, similar itinerary to what oakside did except we stopped at the crocodile farm first after a boat ride and then went into San Blas, lastly stopping for a late lunch at a beach restaurant. Great guide, he brought along all kinds of native fruits and passed out samples, we were in a small van (about 8 people).

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
992 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lesser-known tour/excursion ideas?

We went to San Blas in Feb. & quite enjoyed it. Although, with 5 kids the bus ride might be a bit long for them. There's a town by Saylita called La Penita that has a terrific market on Thursdays. You can take the bus at Wal-Mart. It's the opposite way of Sayulita but it's a nice little town & the market is fun. There's restaurants close to the market where you can have brunch. Also the town right beside it is call Rincon de Guayabitos which you could either cab to or walk to by a swinging bridge that attaches the 2 towns. You could spend the afternoon on the beach there & venture back to PV later. It's quite a walk from La Penita to the center of Guayabitos but the beach at the end that is closest to La Penita is very nice. We stayed in Guayabitos for a month last year & enjoyed going to the market in La Penita on Thursdays. It's a fair size market with pretty much everything you can imagine. We also stayed in Bucerias for a month in Feb. but I don't think we'd stay there again. It's a nice little town but everyone has their own places that just "feel" right to them. We're staying a month in Sayulita in Feb. 2012 so we'll see what we think of that! Sounds like you're the type of family that will have a great time no matter what you do! Good Luck!

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lesser-known tour/excursion ideas?

the botanical gardens are wonderful and depending on time of year i think you can swim in the river! we were there in may so it was dry.

Edited: 05 November 2011, 20:27
Twin Bridges...
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lesser-known tour/excursion ideas?

If I remember correctly, I read a while back that the zip line tours (El Eden) in the Mismaloya area closed.

San Sebastian is lovely, but my grandkids (ages 6 to 17) got bored rather quickly after a look around the plaza, and visiting the quaint museum. I enjoyed it though and would like to go back and explore further.