We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tortilla press for tacos

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
841 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Tortilla press for tacos

Hi! I'll be in Puerto Vallarta soon and I'd like to know if there is any shop or place where I could buy one of those tortilla press for making tacos... I know there's a Walmart in PV. Does anyone knows if they sell them there?

Thanks!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tortilla press for tacos

No idea about Walmart, I hardly ever go there. On the South Side there's a small hardware store on Aquiles Serdan just a couple of doors east of Insurgentes that sells them, they also have Molcajetes

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,625 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tortilla press for tacos

Love that hardware store, bought my lime squeezers and some other cooking gadgets there.

But, I find it much easier to just go to one of the many tortillerias around town and buy freshly made tortillas.

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tortilla press for tacos

Perhaps the central market sells them. It is always fun to walk through there.

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tortilla press for tacos

Didn't see any tortilla presses at the central market last trip, but was looking for a press to take home. I bought masa and tried to make them at home, lasted right up until wife kicked me out of the kitchen. We get roti and such from daughter in law, but the tortillas are better in my opinion. Try filled tortillas cooked up in a panini press! Amazing.

Aquiles surdan and Insurgentes, eh? I wonder about lighter presses, I mean lighter than the monsters they used to sell at Rizos.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,699 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tortilla press for tacos

Virtually every grocery store sells them in their gadget section. I´ve seen them at Ley and Soriana (grocery stores). I´d go check but I´m not in Vallarta for two weeks, but they them the last time I was there.

Ley is the closest to downtown. Near the Hotel Buenaventura.

Edited: 18 November 2011, 21:21
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,699 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tortilla press for tacos

Sorry, I meant they HAD them.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,625 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tortilla press for tacos

I'm pretty sure the store on Aquiles Serdan has them, but I believe the OP is only there for a day on a cruise ship, so finding a larger place like Ley or Soriana makes much more sense.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tortilla press for tacos

Oh man, I saw several but nothing is clicking as to where. I can assure you that you will have no problem finding one with the previous suggestions and by asking when you are out and about. I bought one about 20 years ago here at home in the states, still use it often.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
841 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tortilla press for tacos

I'll take note of all the places you suggested and check them out. Thank you for your kind help!

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tortilla press for tacos

They are NOT all that easy to find depending on what you want. The best ones are the big HEAVY wood ones. The little metal ones are not all that great- and you have to measure the "ball" size of the masa to make them work in the metal ones.

When I went to find one, (the metal ones originally) I went to the central market, WalMart, Soriana and Ley and no one had one. Then my sister in law told me that the metal ones are horrible (she's Mexican from here and makes zillions of tortillas) and so I did find one when I went to Tonala. (HEAVY wood) and it works great!

Anyway- now that I do not need one, they are everywhere (The metal ones) so maybe it was a good thing I did not fidn them back then :)