We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Yelapa worth it?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,552 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Is Yelapa worth it?

We have 10 nights in the PV area - we have reservations for the first 3 nights in PV and then were thinking of staying in Yelapa for two nights before heading to Sayulita. We then come back to PV for 2 nights before heading back home.

We're on a bit of a budget for this trip and accommodations in Yelapa seem somewhat expensive, especially when you factor in cost of the water taxi. I'm also afraid that after the sun goes down, there might not be a lot to do as I get the impression that most places close up after the last water taxi takes the day trippers back to PV

We've been to plenty of remote post card perfect beaches in our travels to Central America - what would Yelapa have to offer?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,558 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Yelapa worth it?

You don´t need to go to both Yelapa and Sayulita in a ten day trip.

San Diego
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Yelapa worth it?

Well have never spent the nigin Yelapa - but for me seems like a nice day trip. We loved the waterfall and the water taxi ride down. There really didn't seem like much to do there,especially oncethe sun went down. but not having stayed there, I'm not the best source.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Yelapa worth it?

Spent a night about 20 years ago in a little hotel on the beach.

Open air with concrete floor sleeping under netting as the room soon filled with flying creatures..Snapped on my flashlight seeing literaly 1,000s of creatures swirling around.

A real adventure, but I realize much more fancy places now.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Yelapa worth it?

I would go visit Yelapa for a day trip.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Yelapa worth it?

Yelapa is only "busy" for about 2 1/2 hours, starting around noon, when the tour boats unload their passengers, after that there are a few tourist who came by water taxi, after the last water taxi leaves 4:30pm or so, it's even quieter. The exception is the Saturday night dancing at the "Yacht Club"

Go to http://yelapa.info for a list of accommodation.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
996 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Yelapa worth it?

Day trip to Yelapa would suffice or spend an extra day or 2 in Sayulita but once you get to PV you may not want to leave & just do a day trip to Sayulita too! Decisions, decisions! LOL

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,825 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Yelapa worth it?

I think Yelapa would be neat except there is the evening factor of what to do after dinner. I think it is generally a place where you would go to bed early and wake early to watch the village come alive. Do get there for a day trip though, the village is unique and there are reportedly some good lunch spots in the village....which I intend to try out in a couple weeks since I didn't get to last time.

If you would like to stay in a village smaller than Sayulita - as a replacement for Yelapa..... I suggest thinking about Boca de Tomatlan. It is a darling place and only 20 -30 minutes depending on traffic by bus or cab, so you can go into PV during the evening, yet experience the very friendly locals of Boca during the day.

Really you can stay in PV and make day trips to both Yelapa and Boca which errs on the side of caution, you get to go there without being disappointed in case you don't like staying overnight. Sunday (family day) is a great day to visit Boca.

Here's a little trip report with pics I did on Boca after my last PV trip....might help you decide what to do.

Good luck deciding!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150793-i46-k44191…

San Diego
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Yelapa worth it?

Just wanted to add to my previous post, that we went to Yelapa during the rainy season, so the waterfall was awesome. Don't know what it is like when it is non-rainy....

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,552 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Yelapa worth it?

Thanks everybody for the input!

We've decided to skip Yelapa and spend the two extra nights in PV. I emailed our hotel, Posada de Roger, too see if they can accommodate us for two extra nights.

Level Contributor
55 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Yelapa worth it?

The simple answer is yes! Yelapa is beautiful and magical place to me. It is a quiet peaceful friendly village. Good food and people. on night of full moon 11/10/11 one of beach restaurants had a bonfire on the sand. Local people brought drums and maracas and say there till 1:00 am. No club scene but there are obsess to have drinks and meet new friends. Waterfall was awesome, and hike 90 minutes up river to other waterfall, a great jounery. For rooms try www.casamilagros.net . We were married there and wish I could live there! Also try Carolyn Songin at yelapaconnexion.com