We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our first time to Puerto Vallarta!

Gardner, Kansas
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Our first time to Puerto Vallarta!

Hey there! My husband and I are going to PV in March.Were celebrating ten years of Marriage. We will be without our kiddos and were 30. Were not sure if we should spend most of our time going on the tours (canopy,Eco discovery,sailing) or if we should just sit back and relax and do a little sight seeing? My husband would like to relax, since he works all the time but Im afraid we wont get the "full experience." We will be there for 5 full days and the tours are buy 2 get 1.We think thats the best deal. What do you think? TOURS or RELAX? Thanks in advance!

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our first time to Puerto Vallarta!

Hey neighbor I'm up the road from you, west side of Kansas City in Shawnee!

For starters walking around town should not be missed.

Where are you staying?......it can make a difference as to what is suggested as most convenient in terms of tours or seeing outlying areas.

Gardner, Kansas
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Our first time to Puerto Vallarta!

Hey neighbor!:)

We are staying at the Sunset Plaza Beach Resort in the Hotel Zone. It was only built a year ago.

That was another thing we were taking into consideration.It doesnt look too far from the Marina, where we would be departing.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our first time to Puerto Vallarta!

Others can give you good info on the tours because we haven't done many tours....it's true....in 22 years. We usually run around town and use the bus to get to other areas and rent a car for a couple days for outlying areas too. So I'm not a good person to give advice on tours.

And you're right it won't be hard to get to the Marina from Sunset Plaza.

But.....with relaxation in mind I would suggest walking around town....it is actually very relaxing and you can stop anywhere for a drink, snacks, lunch, dinner whatever at your own pace. Also everywhere will make you a fresh limonada, good for when you're tired and need a boost. You are right at the edge of town so this will be very easy to do more than once. Walking around town is a "full experience", it's like none other in Mexico and something new to see around every few feet.

Just my thought If you don't decide on a tour.....with only 5 days I would suggest taking a water taxi from Los Muertos Beach in front of Cuates y Cuetes to Yelapa and getting off at the town pier. It is a very unique village. It will take about 30 minutes to get there from Los Muertos. Spend 3 or 4 hours there and then go back or you can spend "relaxing" time on their beach. You would just need to let the water taxi driver know where you want to be picked up....beach or pier. Here's their website and you'll find water taxi schedules there too, and maps.

http://www.yelapa.info/

and here's JR's maps for PV

http://vallartainfo.com/

Edited: 05 January 2012, 02:30
Appleton, WI
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Our first time to Puerto Vallarta!

Holly- we have been going to PVR for a number of years. some with kids most without. I think your hotel is all inclusive so you make not need a list of resturants. I would suggest at least one tour but not more then 2 they do take up a good part of your day. A day in town is also a must take your time most places are open late. We like Old Town.

You might enjoy a short bus right to Bucerias. The beach is not at rough as the hotel zone. If we could only visit one beach other then the hotel we would choice Old Town.

Enjoy your time alone with your husband.

Maybe see you there we are going two weeks in March no kids. They are not happy but as they say what ever.

Gardner, Kansas
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Our first time to Puerto Vallarta!

Thank you so much for your responses!

I would like to clarify. We definitely plan on walking around town and sight seeing. Thats why my husband says he wants to "relax" He thinks it will be too much to try to fit in and says "I dont want to HAVE to be somewhere at a certain time." Sounds like you all my be agreeing with him.:) (I hate when that happens)

Yes, our resort is all inclusive.

Ive been hearing a lot about Yelapa. Sounds like we'll have to make a trip there. Is this where the water fall is? Also, my husband and I are very active.Thats what seems to be the problem...every vacation weve gone on has been run non stop.(weve also always had our kids)

Appleton, WI
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Our first time to Puerto Vallarta!

Understand completely. My family needs a vacation from me after week of non stop entertainment.

We took a day trip to Yelapa on a tour 10 plus years ago. But had the best time taking water taxi with less time lines.

We are zip lining this year. You need to be there at the start time but after the start it is at your own pass.

We really like the Rythem of the Night. It is the only trip we have repeated.

What about a couple massage? It took me a number of years to try but now we do every year. Very relaxing.

Comox BC
Level Contributor
998 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our first time to Puerto Vallarta!

The Marina is very close by bus to SP and even walkable if you like same.

My vote would be for relax. 5 days is not an awful lot of time albeit MUCH better than staying home. Don't know if you are sun bunnies thus how much you intend to loll about under the warm Vallarta skies listening to the sound of the surf while sucking on a margarita. :-)

To really 'feel' Vallarta, you must spend an evening wandering the Malecon and experiencing that whole thing. Sunday is the ideal evening for that activity but any afternoon or evening would work. You can (but may not choose to) walk down the beach, stopping for libations as the need presents, to get to the Malecon.

Taking a bus into Old Town/Southside/Zona Romatica (all the same place) is another 'get the feel of Vallarta' activity. Get a taco or three at Pancho's Tacos on Basilio Badillo, wander the shops on BB + the River Cuale, have a Marg (or whatever) at CYC's on Los Muertos Beach , those kinds of things will give you the vibe of Vallarta.

I don't know your activity quotient. We spend most of our days on the beach/at the pool and do our wandering about in the evening. You may be a more active couple so perhaps you might want to do one 'tour' type of thing but really I wouldn't do much ore than that. You don't want to be rushing from one place to another for all 5 days or it will just be a repeat of home in a different location. Yes?

We are doing our first AI at the Sunset Plaza in Feb. We've always stayed South Side in Condos so this will be a different experience for us. We'll keep it in great shape for you two. :-)

Have a great time. I'm sure you are excited to have the break after 10 years.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,873 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our first time to Puerto Vallarta!

If you'll be in PV towards the beginning of March, it will still be whale watching season. If you just go on only one excursion while you're there, my pick would be a half-day whale watching excursion. If you haven't seen whales before, please go. You will not regret it.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our first time to Puerto Vallarta!

Sunset Plaza to the Marina is a very long walk !

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our first time to Puerto Vallarta!

Yes there is a waterfall in the village area of Yelapa....worth seeing while in Yelapa for sure. There is also another waterfall that is more of a hike but I haven't visited that one.

You could do a tour like whale watching which isn't all day I don't think, and do Yelapa a different day and still go to Bucerias for an afternoon on a third day. Maybe save the thing you are least interested in for last.....in case you change your mind.

What you'll discover is that PV and the surrounding areas involves a lot of walking in order to see everything up close and personal......and you find you just can't walk forever....and do all that you want to.....if that makes sense, so I guess what I'm saying is you'll feel you have done a lot. So it isn't so much of siding with your husband LOL as what we know about PV. :-)