We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping protocol

Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping protocol

We are heading to the Barcelo PV Jan 31- Feb 7. We always tip the maids each day, but I was wondering about tipping elsewhere (bars etc). Should we tip in pesos or USD? we have been vacationing int he Carribean the last 5 years, some staff at the resorts there do not accept the tips ( some do) This is our first trip to mexico in a long time (Looking so forward to getting back to PV). What is "appropriate"?

Anybody know if there is an ATM at the Barcelo?

Go Jets Go! Thanks.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping protocol

Tip in pesos. No one will turn down a tip in dollars (us or Cdn), Euros or most any other bill (foreign coins are unacceptable). Just be aware that it is a lot harder for the service people to exchange to pesos so they can pay their bills. I tip 20%.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,045 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping protocol

See Top Questions on the Pacififc Coast forum page. Lots of info on currency and tipping.

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping protocol

Look at it this way.....Would YOU like to be tipped in Euro, Yen, USD, Pesos or Cand? Most of us would like to be tipped in our own currancy. Besides why would a Candian take USD into Mexico?

There are also ATM's at the airport, I believe there is a HSBC one as well....we have an HSBC account and are charged abour 35 pesos for each transaction but it is then credited back into our account when we arrive home.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,682 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping protocol

If it's one of those free-standing non-bank ATMs at the resort, be careful. Often those have horrible fees.

I'd use an ATM at the airport, there's a line of them, 3-4 different bank options. See if your home bank of on the network with any of them. I can use Santanders and Scotia with no charges as a BoA customer for example.

Or you could change cash USD to peso at the hotel front desk. If you get peso from an ATM you'll probably need to change with them for smaller bills anyway.

I'm guessing at the resort some people do bring a stack of USD $1s for tipping, and the staff happily accepts them, but peso are just nicer imo.

suze

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,472 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping protocol

No reason whatsoever for a Canadian to bring USD to PV for tipping. You lose money on the 3 way exchange unless the dollars are at par (which right now they are not).

The currency of Mexico is the peso - everything else is foreign currency and subject to the various rules, regulations, and hassles of exchange. Make it easier on your hard working servers and tip in the currency they can immediately see benefit from.

In terms of tipping at an AI, senorbobo has a handy "guide" he follows (as he & his wife stay AI all the time). It's below, cut and pasted from another thread:

Maids 20 to 50 pesos per day on the pillow (depending on how messy we leave the room)

Meals: 50 pesos for breakfast and lunch (ala carte) and 100 or more for dinner (more if we have the special coffee).

Drinks 20 pesos every few rounds.

Bellmen 50 pesos plus extra 10 pesos per bag.

Cab to and from airport - 10 pesos extra per bag.

Edited: 11 January 2012, 16:02
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping protocol

Thanks everyone for all the helpful tips. Last time I was in Mexico was 1999. Obviously the canadian dollar was not what it is now! I will hit the ATM's at the airport- Scotia bank and use Pesos.

20 more sleeps!

Gaylord, Minnesota
Level Contributor
174 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping protocol

Remember when you enter the amount to withdraw you will be entering pesos

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping protocol

If you enter an odd amount at the ATM you can usually get some smaller bills. Instead of 3000 pesos try 2820 or 2860.

The hotels are usually able to break larger bills. They understand that guests need to tip.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,457 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping protocol

Every ATM I used recently required withdrawals in multiples of either 100 or 200.

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping protocol

Might have been a temporary thing, but i know for sure that I have gotten 50 peso notes from an ATM. We order small bills from our money exchange, they are far more flexible than our bank, and we tend to hoard small bills towards the end of each trip so that we have at least a few for tipping on arrival.