We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malecon sculpture tour

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Westchester County...
Level Contributor
272 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Malecon sculpture tour

I love Puerto Vallarta. It is a great combination of an urban environment with cobblestone streets in a scenic location with great restaurants, great activities, nice beaches, good hillside views and culture.

To better appreciate the art scene in Puerto Vallarta, Gary Thompson, who owns Galeria Pacifico, offers a free Malecon Sculpture Tour on Tuesday mornings between November and April. My wife and I attended the tour between Christmas and New Year and found it to be outstanding. We started at the Millenium Sculpture by the Rosita Hotel. We were treated to a lecture about the sculpture by Mathis Lídice, the sculptor. He taught us about what the various pieces on the spiral represent and told us about the logistics he had to deal with in order to create the piece. We walked to most of the other sculptures and Gary told us about the history of those pieces. He also talked about the sand sculptures. We were also joined by Kevin Simpson, who owns a gallery specializing in Huichol art, who discussed the significant of the Huichol designs that appear in stone throughout the Malecon walkway.

At the end of the tour we went to Galeria Pacifico to meet Jim Demetro, who discussed the dancer sculpture he created on the Malecon. Once again, we not only heard the artist describe what the art represents, but he also explained what he had to go through to create the piece and place it on the Malecon.

Gary, Mathis, Kevin and Jim were all glad to answer questions.

The tour was outstanding. If you are interested in art, you should consider attending.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,457 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malecon sculpture tour

Good report!! Have you considered submitting this as a review (in the Things to Do) -- if not, please do -- it will be more available for others to see/read over time.

We have often seen the group on this tour. Your report paints a great picture of what one should/might expect when doing it.

Thanks for sharing!!

Victoria B.C.
Level Contributor
259 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malecon sculpture tour

This is just what we have been looking for. Do you know what time they are as we will have to come in to PV from Neuvo to attend? Thanks,

Luaulady

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,929 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malecon sculpture tour

Thanks for the update on this wonderful tour. I took Gary's tour twice (Dec, 2009 and April, 2010) and he wasn't doing it for awhile and often cut it short as it can be strenuous -- especially if there are a lot of people. Glad to hear he's back in form.

Also, it must be VERY interesting now, with the sculptures being torn out and replaced, with the establishment of the new Malecón. I learned so much about the history of PV (even politics) from him. He has a great sense of humor.

As Gary told us years ago, sometimes his biggest issue is that there are too many people on it. When I first took the tour, Ramiz Barquet was the artist back at the gallery, at the end of the tour. Ramiz's sculptures are on the Malecón and Gary tells beautiful stories as to their origin and inspiration. Ramiz has since passed on.

I'm so glad to hear Gary is doing the tours again, on the new Malecón.

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
272 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malecon sculpture tour

Johnny2bc:

How do I add a review to Things to Do?

Luaulady: Tour starts at 9:30

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,457 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malecon sculpture tour

Re: adding a review.

Click on "Write a Review" (at bottom of page) - click on "attraction", and provide the name of the attraction (Malecon Sculpture Tour) and name of city (Puerto Vallarta), and hit 'search'.

I do not think t is listed, so you will then have to click on "tell us more about it", and fill out the information requested, and submit. Then wait for TA to list it. Once it is listed, then you can provide your review.

It takes some time for an attraction/restaurant or the like to be listed. While waiting for that to happen, you can write your review and have it ready to copy and paste when the listing is ready for your review. They will write you when it is.

Hope this helps!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malecon sculpture tour

Do you have to "sign up" to join the tour or just "show up"? That sounds really interesting. To confirm, it starts at 9:30?

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
272 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malecon sculpture tour

you just have to show up.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malecon sculpture tour

Great---yet ANOTHER new thing for us to try.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malecon sculpture tour

Oops, I know it starts at Hotel Rosita, but do you go IN the hotel to meet up or just look for people on the Malecon?

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
272 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malecon sculpture tour

You don't go into the hotel. You'll meet by the Millenium sculpture. There will be a number of chairs set up near the Millenium sculpture and the hotel. You'll actually be sitting down while Mathis Lidice discusses his sculpture.