We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melia or Barcelo

north bay ontario
Level Contributor
210 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Melia or Barcelo

Can anyone help us decide. Two women in our 50's looking to book a resort that has nice rooms, good food, good drinks. Been to Golden Crown and want to try something different. Barcelo seems far away from the town and Melia seems close to Marina. Going at end of March and both are the same price so any help would be appreciated.

Milford Michigan
Level Contributor
819 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melia or Barcelo

We stayed at the Melia in November 2010. The first thing you should be aware of is the Melia is very child/family friendly, and there are lots of them. The activity staff was fun and friendly. Found service in the buffet restaurant hit and miss. Melia has a huge lobby bar with entertainment most nights. The negative about the Melia is the lobby bar is the only bar open in the evening. There are no other options. We had a very nice time at the Melia, due in part to the fun people we met. It is nice to walk out of the Melia over to the Marina where there are all kinds of shops, bars & restaurants. I haven't been to the Barcelo, but, have been very interested in it. I have read all the reviews, and most of the reviews have been good. Two things bother me, though. It is farther from PV, like you stated and secondly, it seems like every year, for about 2 months or so, people have been getting violently ill at the Barcelo. If I recall, it starts sometime in the fall and lasts for a few months. It's because of this illness that I have avoided the Barcelo, even though I would love to go there. You might check out the reviews of the Barcelo to see what month the "funk" starts occurring. Many people have not gotten ill, but, the guests that did get sick were a bit too many for me. I'll hot foot it as fast as I can to the Barcelo once they have one year without reviews of guests getting sick.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,145 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melia or Barcelo

We've stayed at the Barcelo several times and never got sick, quiet remote setting, nice rooms all suites; but be aware of different pricing on rooms... standard room include 3 ala carte dinners with a weeks stay and the rest buffet, club level accommodations include untlmited ala carte dining plus rooms on a higher level with view of the bay; good food and plenty of dining options but with the upgrade you may want to consider staying at Dreams, closer to town, nicer accommodations, better food and much nicer beach. As mention the Melia is definitely family friendly, great for a family vacation but Id never go again just on our own; both Melia and Barcelo are appox the same distance to town, one north, one south.

If youre looking to stay in the same price range Canto del Sol may be worth looking into, smaller hotel in comparison and much smaller beach, nice accommadations, good food (all day buffet and ala carte restaurant menu changes nightly Mexican/Italian) and much closer to town.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,145 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melia or Barcelo

We've also stayed at Golden Crown, much better food here and top shelf liquor compared to Melia, Barcelo or Canto. Good luck!

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
12,050 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melia or Barcelo

Maybe you might want to check out Velas Resorts. Located in marina where Melia is, but a tad more upscale and family freiedly but maybe not quite as much as Melia. Have not stayed yet at Melia but did check it out while I was at Velas Vallarta....The Melia looked okay but Velas Vallarta has much better rooms and such...the food at Velas Vallarta is good...No clue on food at Melia.

I have also avoided the Barcelo due to the every year overwhelming incidents of illness....

Another thought depending on your budget would be Casa Velas also in marina, but so pampering and relaxing and special. This is something all woman in their 50's deserve...great service, great food and great drinks...at least check it out, they have many specials...( I am in my 50's and this is my favorite place besides Velas Vallarta...)

Here are a few videos of Casa Velas...

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-040d-526e-93a6

Where Everyone is Special Casa velas Jan 2-6, 2012

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-02f1-abbe-6c8a

Girls trip to Casa velas August 2011

Good luck in deciding...

I am booked at Melia for July...to try it, have stayed at Crown Paradise but not Golden Crown, the food was not good, so if JNS is on target maybe we will e eating out mostly...if Melia food anything like Crown Paradise, where everything tasted the same...ugh...anyway we will see...

5. Re: Melia or Barcelo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2013, 10:28