We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First thoughts on PV

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
First thoughts on PV

Hi everyone from (almost) sunny PV! We arrived yesterday in the afternoon. The airport was something else. I got myself so worked up about the infamous shark tank I almost had a panic attack. It was pretty funny after the fact, but I was just walking around in a fury trying to ignore everyone trying to "help" me find a taxi. Even the real taxi people. My wife tried to tell me 3 times where the booth was, but I was in a zone. Thankfully she didn't smack me. The Malecon was wonderful last night. All of the people watching and great music. We also found what appeared to be a small market several blocks off the Malecon. Much less expensive and the people were friendly and not aggressive at all. Well my beautiful wife is hungry so I will post more later. Whale watching tomorrow!

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First thoughts on PV

Disneychicks

Check the reputable tour folks such as Vallarta Adventures. Late march isn't always too late for whales. We have seen them splashing about in the bay as late as mid april.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,383 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: First thoughts on PV

But the legal whale watching season permits end March 23rd, so after that you can't take a tour to watch them. If you run across them by chance while on another tour then that's a bonus, but there are no specific tours after that date for whale watching (or if there are any advertised, they are illegal).

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: First thoughts on PV

Ok, I must've had my sucker hat on again yesterday. Or maybe it was the margaritas. My wife overheard the owner of the restaurant we were in yesterday talking to 3 ladies about whale watching. Has his own boat and does private tours with fishing, snorkeling, etc. Only 180 dollars for 2 people. I'm sure all of you non-suckers know where this is headed. Anyway, turned out to be a "fishing" trip where we just happened to see a whale. A very small, exhaust spewing fishing boat. We paid up front for the next day (I did get his cell number and tested it prior to paying). Still almost had a panic attack last night thinking what a sucker I was being. I will say the captain of the boat and his son were really nice and took care of us. They were right there at the Marina waiting for us. And when we went to the wrong part of the Marina and had to call for help our restaurant guy answered the phone and gave us directions. However, the boat was very slow (due mostly to the fishing lines dragging behind us the whole time) and smoggy. Lesson learned by Mr. Newbie. Only TA rec tours from now on.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,433 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First thoughts on PV

Don't feel bad Mark, we've all experienced so-so excursions.

Granted there was no internet for research back then, but back on our honeymoon in '87 we were considering jumping overboard from the Princesa Yelapa. Worst old tug I've ever been on in my life.

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: First thoughts on PV

PS, the weather is awesome and sunny now, Cheeky Monkey is as advertised, we're staying at the Hotel Catedral and we are planning on going to the Palm tonight to see Los Bambinos. Saw the sunset last night from a little beach restaurant I think was called Langosta Loca. Absolutely beautiful red sky. Shrimp civitche was good too. Now we are looking for a place for a massage. I will DEFINITELY check TA first.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: First thoughts on PV

Was hoping you'd make it to bzy1's get together, Twisted Palms at 5:30pm ?

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
233 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: First thoughts on PV

I had to laugh, hubby and I did the same thing when racing through the airport, we almost missed the real taxi booth, we listen to all the advise given on this forum!!!

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: First thoughts on PV

Mr. JR, thanks for reminding me! I was just reading about that last night and it was something I really wanted to do. Plus, it looks like we are just over the bridge and only a couple of blocks away. I guess we'll see you in a few hours.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,383 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: First thoughts on PV

For massage, go to Metamorfosis Day Spa. It's just steps up from Olas Altas at F. Rodriguez. Angie and her crew will take good care of you. EDIT: if you go past it tonight, they have sign up sheets that hang on the doors, so you can sign up for your next-day services in advance.

http://www.metamorfosisdayspa.com/ - website

http://vallartainfo.com/south.html - map to locate it

PS - for an afternoon of fishing on a small boat I don't think $180US is all that out of line, especially when you factor in permits, bait, fuel, etc. Guess it depends on how long you were out. For an hour or two yeah, too much...3-4 hours, that's not bad.

Edited: 21 February 2012, 21:36
Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,514 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: First thoughts on PV

For your massages, you might wish to consider:

- Eclipse Spa (Aquiles Serdan 222) - across from the big condo, a block+ 'up' from Los Muertos beach.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g150793-d2480…

-Xel Ha Massages (Lazaro Cardenas 155) - across from Parque Cardenas, half-block 'up' from Los Muertos beach.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g150793-d1603…

Both are handy to your walking into the south side from Hotel Catedral, and on to The Palms, and you may have a much better chance of catching a time for 'now'. I love Metamorfosis, but massage times there are mostly via pre-booked appointments.