We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel insurance nightmares

winnipeg
Level Contributor
967 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
travel insurance nightmares

anyone every had there "WORK health insurance' not come through/denied for them when travelling in mexico specifically and needed it ? i personally buy "TRAVEL health insurance" and have never needed it but wont go without it ! anyone have examples of costs associated with your personal experiences ei broken ankle 10,000 dollars in mexico please feel free to comment thanks

Toronto
Level Contributor
665 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: travel insurance nightmares

I'm sorry - are you looking to experience vicariously other people's "nightmares", or is there something behind your post that you could express more clearly?

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,739 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel insurance nightmares

why was it revoked?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel insurance nightmares

No way a broken ankle would cost that much here, not sure of your point ?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
183 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel insurance nightmares

We were staying at Royal Decameron 3 years ago and my appendix went . Called the resort DR. had the best care ever . Cost was $15.000 and that was ultra sound , IV's ,surgery , 2 days at the private clinic and the best dam care I could of asked for . And yes we paid an extra 30 dollars for 2 weeks coverage out of the Country on top of our Province care. Well worth every penny. I work in the Health Care here in B.C and never leave home without it. P.S a small scar on my stomach.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel insurance nightmares

Lots of personal insurances are not accepted in Mexico and you must pay the bill and collect it from your company when you return home. Also Medicare is not accepted in Mexico either. Travel insurance is needed. Mondial Insurance Travel Insurance Covers lots of things like car rental insurance, and is accepted by all the hospitals I contacted in PV, plus covers lost luggage, and cancelled vacation because of death, or sickness in the family. Other stuff too. It don't cost much for what it covers if you end up needing it, it is well worth it. There are other companies available other than Mondial. I just happen to know about this one.

"Funman"

winnipeg
Level Contributor
967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel insurance nightmares

basically what im trying to ask is? i have insurance through my work which states that travel is part of the coverage ! i dont trust that its enough coverage in another country so i buy specific travel insurance in my area through a company called manitoba blue cross travel insurance and am wondering if any one has ever had to pay up front or had there own personal coverage refused and what costs they incurred ! having said that i didnt mean to suggest that i knew anything about costs associated with any medical emergency in mexico was just wondering what one might pay for any procedure ! to laws 15000 what ? pesos

Edited: 24 February 2012, 05:43
winnipeg
Level Contributor
967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel insurance nightmares

oops "twolaws" disregard my question at the end of my last post ! i understand what your saying and you answered my question thank you

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
183 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel insurance nightmares

No problem..... When we buy extra travel insurance in our Province it's just a go between company from our B.C medical and another Country . We still end up having BC medical pay the whole bill the extra insurance just pays it up front so we didn't have to even give a credit card or a single dime. I thought it was Dam cheap , hate to see what the bill would have been in the States. Cheers

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,802 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: travel insurance nightmares

I have benefits plan travel insurance through my employer (it's pretty thorough too) but haven't had to use it so far. A colleague has however, and she had no issues with it covering what was required.

I'm thinking perhaps this might be a question to pose to your employer's insurer to find out specifics and any limits of coverage. Maybe that would set your mind at ease?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel insurance nightmares

If you have out of province / country extended travel medical benefits through your employer then that is all you should need but I agree with PVjennybean you should always check with your employer to ensure you have adequate coverage.

If you just have basic provincial medical coverage then you need to purchase extra out of country medical travel insurance which will cover your needs.

Be careful of over insuring especially if you have employer coverage plus you buy extra insurance yourself as you can end up with the insurance companies fighting with each other on who is going to cover the expense.