We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report-Feb 16-24

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
344 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report-Feb 16-24

This was our 10th visit to PVR. We booked this flight and hotel through Travelocity, which had the best price for what we wanted. It was a blend of some repeated experiences combined with some new ones. HOTEL-we stayed at Fiesta Americana for the 6th time. Beautiful beach and pool area. 50 peso taxi ride to town. Only thing I noticed different was many more "Vacation Club" reps in the lobby. A polite "no thank You" takes care of it. FUN STUFF-we saw the Carnival parade on Feb 18. Quite enjoyable, but a little strange as we watched from the area of the square by the church. After the parade started on the Malecon, it came onto the street, backing up traffic coming into town. After about 15 minutes, the police halted the parade at the end of the Malecon to let traffic flow for a while. Most people around the square assumed the parade was over, and left. After about 10 minutes the parade resumed on the street. it eventually turned into a mixture of parade and traffic. ALSO, we went to a performance at THE PALMS cabaret on Olas Atlas. it was Miss Conception, a female impersonator. Great fun and reasonable cost. RESTAURANTS-we returned to Cafe Bohemio, Mariscos Polo, our "special" night at Casa Isabel and tried new places like Posta, Cocoa Tropical, Fusion Gourmet, and Langostinos. BEST SUNSET HAPPY HOUR-in our opinion were the drinks at Cocoa Tropical, one of the reasons we decided to have dinner there. WEATHER-was cool and overcast for 4 of our 8 days, but we still had fun and came home with a tan. Hope to return in December for the Festival of the Virgin. Saw it 2 years ago, and it is a different perspective on PVR. Safe travels to all.

Comox BC
Level Contributor
987 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report-Feb 16-24

Thanks for sharing your experiences teacherman. We were there about the same period and enjoyed Carnival as well. It keeps getting bigger and better each year!

WE (well this part of we) would like to get down to PV for Dios Los Muertos this October. It's a bucket list thing for me (no pun intended). :-)

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,396 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report-Feb 16-24

Lots of people really like Coco Tropical for HH. Going to have to try it. Always enjoy The Palm too.

Thanks for your trip report!

Lake Mills...
Level Contributor
917 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report-Feb 16-24

Funny thing about happy hour at Coco Tropical: it's packed, and frequently a good portion of the pack is a cadre of folks who look to be, ....uh...., not exactly budget travelers. They'll arrive early in order to secure one of the precious few bar stools, sit there purposefully empty handed, watching the seconds tick off until the magic 2x1 moment arrives, and only then order their drinks. And at the end, even if they've got a full one in front of them, they'll make sure to hit "last call" for another pair, and when those are done, so are they.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm all for bargain hunting, but this bunch has it down to a shameless art.

We love Coco Tropical. We ate there twice this last trip, and night-capped it there more often than I'd want to tell my pastor, made friends with the waiters and bartenders -- even spending one afternoon with one of them, he taking us through both home and that of his parents -- but avoided happy hour there like it's rush hour on the Tokyo subway system.

Michigan
Level Contributor
344 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report-Feb 16-24

You are right about the regular HH crowd. Our first night there, we had our drinks at one of the front tables. The other nights, all of the front tables were "reserved for dining". HH was at the bar or the back tables. BUT each night they offer a different HH tapas for 50 pesos. They are pretty big tapas. And they are excellent.

5. Re: Trip Report-Feb 16-24

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 01:40