We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Thrifty Rent A Car in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico!

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid Thrifty Rent A Car in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico!

I recently rented a car from Thrifty Rent a Car on Janaury 25, 2012. Unfortunately, the entire experience has fallen far short of my expectations. When I arrived in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico, after a three hour flight and spending two hours in customs with my wife and two year child, I eagerly looked for the Thrifty Car Rental booth. It was sandwiched between a number of other rental car companies. I asked the young man at the counter if he could tell me where the cars were? After all, it was advertised on their website the cars were at the airport. That’s why I picked Thrifty. He told me a shuttle would take me to the rental car company. Thus, after sitting in the hot sun with my wife and two year old child for 25 minutes we were finally picked up. I was appalled that Thrifty would advertise on their own website that they had cars at the airport which was obviously a lie just to get customers to rent their cars.

Then, I had to wait in line for a Thrifty customer agent and get an earful from someone trying to sell my a party excursion in your lobby. Something I repeatedly told him I wasn’t interested in over and over again.

Next, myself and an employee from the company (who knew no English) began to inspect the car. Throughout the inspection I pointed out a number of marks and dings peppered throughout the car. Because of the language barrier he neglected to understand the various imperfections on the car I was trying to point out to him.

There were a few positives about the car I rented. The car had good gas mileage and the air conditioner worked fine.

Unfortunately, when I returned the car on February 1, 2012, I told the Thrifty agent that the front end was completely out of line and I should receive some type of compensation for having to deal with this for seven days. He ignored this request and told me I made a 1/8” scratch by the left rear of the car.

When I attempted to resolve the issues with car rental company, I was rudely treated by a gentleman who would only give me the first name of Christian, who merely responded that, “your Americans are all the same, ha ha...” “You need to pay for the damage...ha ha...” He pointed out that he had taken still shots of the inspection when I picked up the car and this particular mark was not on the car. I told him the photo makes it looks like the car is perfect at the time of the inspection because your camera is too far away and you don’t see any marks and dings if you take a photo of it 15 yards away... !!! The mark was there when I rented it.

I then asked to speak to his supervisor and he told me he wasn’t in. I then repeatedly asked for a receipt and he told me I would get one in the mail. Something I never have heard dealing with rental car companies.

For the record, the so-called mark on the car was not done by myself during the time I rented the car. The vehicle was peppered with dings and abrasions the day I rented it.

Please stay away from Thrifty. The pain and aggravation is not worth it!!!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,866 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid Thrifty Rent A Car in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico!

Remember what you post...if you are not totally right in your assestment, there are liabilities that can harm you with internet slander. Better to say " My experience with the company" With you saying "avoid" opens up to a lot of legal internet liabilities. A friend of mine was a victom of this. I would retract your statement to another term to avoid legal problems if Avis wants to presue it.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoid Thrifty Rent A Car in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico!

We had poor service, and some rude comments were directed to my sister in law from one of their employees. I emailed Thrify to let them know, I am sad to hear that you also received poor service.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoid Thrifty Rent A Car in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico!

You were in Mexico and upset because somebody didn't speak English?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoid Thrifty Rent A Car in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico!

FYI-They speak spanish in Mexico. Expect them to speak spanish not english.

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoid Thrifty Rent A Car in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico!

According to a customer service representative from Thrifty, 90% of their customers come from the United States and Canada who rent cars in Mexico. Thus, if 9 out 10 of your customers speak English, you might want to look at hiring a bilingual speaking employee to make the business transaction go smoothly for both parties involved...especially if you are renting out a $20,000 vehicle for a week.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,420 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoid Thrifty Rent A Car in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico!

For future reference here's how we handle the walk around and this works great for us. This way it doesn't matter whether or not both parties speak the same language -

When we rent a car if they aren't circling or checking off what we see, and they never are, my husband politely asks to take the clip board and pen. (They never say no.) My husband points to the ding..... checks it on the paper....... the agent nods......and I take a close up pic. (Some cars have so many tiny scratches and dings that my husband will sometimes circle the entire section...they always give him the ok nod ) Then Husband and agent both sign the ding list.

We've never had a problem doing it this way....and I think it is a polite heads up to them that if they are thinking of taking advantage.....it won't be easy.

Hope you had a good trip otherwise. :-)

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoid Thrifty Rent A Car in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico!

Great suggest Dan...thanks!

How do you edit your text after you post it? I'm new to posting on TripAdvisor.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,720 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoid Thrifty Rent A Car in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico!

You even bashed Thrifty in the middle of a link on the Freeport forum...

See the report innapropriate content...hit on that...and then hit on remove my post...might want to do that on the Freeport forum too...

Should have read up on renting cars in PV...lots of information and who to deal with. And it is Mexico...and they speak Spanish...best to learn some before you travel next time...and a smile also helps...

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoid Thrifty Rent A Car in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico!

Judy,

I'm Hispanic, live in New Mexico and know some Spanish. Enough to get around. But it's impossible to communicate when the other person doesn't know a word of it and management of the rental company doesn't care to help.

I'm carrying a smile now and had one when I rented the car.

10. Re: Avoid Thrifty Rent A Car in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 23:15