We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rooms at Dreams

Spokane Valley...
Level Contributor
571 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Rooms at Dreams

HI lEveryone!

We finally made a decision about our tenth anniversary with all of your help and are going to stay at Dreams. We got a regular room hopefully with a balcony. Wasn't sure about paying the extra $110. a day for a suite--any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

111Julie111

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rooms at Dreams

We had a reg room with balcony in the old tower and LOVED our room!

Our room was 1811 very clean, quiet, and when I read the reviews saying the old tower is beat up, dirty, or what ever....I just have to wonder because that certainly was not our room.

Here is a link of my review....sorry about it being stupid long but filter through and at the bottom I have some pictures I took of the room (and food YUM) Best food I have ever had at an AI

tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g150793-d4815…

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
946 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rooms at Dreams

We have gone to Dreams 15 times and have stayed in both. The last 4 times in the preferred tower. Is it worth the extra price? Not really. We loved the newer tower but when we return it will be in the original tower. For 10 days that is over $1000.00. I would think the biggest advantage in the newer tower is the bathroom. I actually like the views better in the older tower. No roof tops to look over.

Tsawwassen, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rooms at Dreams

My husband and I, along with a group of friends went to Dreams for the first time last year. We had high hopes considering the price we paid and the reviews we read. All but two of our group stayed in the regular tower, my BF and her husband upgraded to the new tower. I was Ok with the older room, the bed was amazing but once I saw the new tower I just had to upgrade. We bartered with the hotel and paid an extra $400 for the last week in the new tower. The bed was horrible but the room was amazing. Everything about that tower made our vacation so much better. The rest of the people in our group were very unhappy with the old tower. In fact my sister and her husband wanted to book out and switch to the Dreams in Nuevo. Everyone felt that for the price you pay the old tower should be as nice as the new one. Its actually kind of shocking when you see the difference between the two. Lots of people are okay with the old tower and I would have been too if I hadnt seen the new one. Here's a tip. Go to http://iprefer.com/ and sign up. Its free and as a member you get a free room upgrade when you stay at any hotel that is a member, which Dreams is. My BF was a member and was offered the penthouse in the old tower but she chose to stay in the new tower instead because she liked it better. If you booked a regular room then you can get a balcony room upgrade for free. If you booked a bacony room already then you would get either the penthouse or the new tower, based on whats available of course. Not many people know that, now you do :)

Oh and make sure you print out something that shows you are a member and bring it with you.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rooms at Dreams

I've been to Dreams twice and stayed in the old tower. We do pay, I think, $80 for the week, to ensure we have a balcony room. Coming from the cold we like to spend all our time outside. So, I do like my first cup of coffee on the balcony. Other than to change clothes or sleep, we are never in the room. For us, an upgrade to the preferred tower would be a waste of money. In fact, I sort of like the decor better in the old tower. With the blue walls and terra cotta tiles and tropical prints, I know I'm far, far from home. The preferred rooms could be a hotel room anywhere. Enjoy your trip!

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rooms at Dreams

I am always an Iprefer member and let me gently correct the poster who seems to think you can be upgrade from the old tower to the new tower just because of a free membership.

^That said, every so often the upgrade fairy decides to bless certain people and one should never look a gift horse in the mouth nor should they assume they can book a reg hotel room and then expect the penthouse (or new tower).

Being in ANY hotel loyality program does have it perks....I travel a great deal for business and stayed in downtown Manhatten on SPG points (room would have been $475 a night otherwise OUCH).

What memberships offer is a free upgrade (within the category you book) if available......also early or late checks in depending on availability. Sometimes I am allowed an extra hour or two but often (especially in high season) that room I checked out of is going to to be used again that night for another guest so late check out is not availaible then.

I used the word availible quite a bit didn't I?? There is a good reason for that and it is in every hotel loyality membership fine print.

I prefer did get me free internet and wifi in all of my stays to both Dreams through and free upgrades in the room category I had booked which is exactly what I had hoped for :)

Oh and I saw the new tower and I would not have paid that much extra to stay there (especially as the bed in our room was amazing).

Edited: 04 March 2012, 15:52
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rooms at Dreams

We just got back from Dreams a couple of weeks ago. It was our 2nd time there & our 2nd time in the old tower. When we arrived there, they gave us the option to upgrade to the new tower for around $400. Since we had a balcony, and our room was great, we didn't take the upgrade, and we don't regret it.

The one nice thing about the Preferred Tower is that it includes free Wi-Fi in the rooms. That wasn't a big deal to us, especially because you can pay $75 to have Wi-Fi access if you're staying in the old tower. The only catch is that you don't have access to the internet in your room. You have to go to the lobby, pool area etc. for it. Some of the rooms in the Preferred Tower also include a jacuzzi on the balcony. However, we were told, by people who had that amenity, that they rarely took advantage of it.

As far as your choice though, I really think it depends on how "picky" you are regarding the decor of your room. If you want everything shiny & new, and are unhappy without that, I'd recommend an upgrade. If you are like us, and aren't in the room a lot, I think it would be a waste of money, especially because the rooms in the old tower are really nice. The entire resort, overall, is wonderful. The food quality & food choices are far better than at most AI's. The service was great, everyone really went out of their way to make sure that we were happy. Whichever tower you choose, I am certain that you will have a wonderful time!

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
946 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rooms at Dreams

We have been I prefer members since Dreams first joined the preferred hotel group. We have never been upgraded to a penthouse or given a great upgrade. The first time we booked the Preferred tower we were given a room on the first floor next the the Seaside grill. It was awful. They put us in a room on the fifth floor the next morning only after I said I booked the room through Preferred .com. They said they had my membership number. Quincytoo is correct on not to expect too much for being an I prefer member.

Tsawwassen, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rooms at Dreams

Hi Julie,

Congratulations on your ten year wedding anniversary. In this day and age it’s certainly a huge milestone; in fact it’s the exact reason why my friends and I went to Dreams last year. We were celebrating my BF’s 10 yr as well. I stand by my earlier post about the free upgrade. I may have left out the part about availability but it doesn’t take a business degree to figure out that you can only get what is available. My BF was indeed offered a penthouse suite in the old tower as her upgrade. She had booked a balcony room and so that was the next step up. Each person’s experience is different, perhaps my BF pushed harder to get what was offered, or perhaps she got an employee in a really good mood. All I know is that I was there and I saw it happen. I don’t know you personally and I have no reason to try to steer you wrong.

I just wanted to add that the old tower is just fine. Really, there’s nothing wrong with it. I get the feeling that some posters make it out like someone is “picky” if the old tower isn’t good enough for them. It’s not that at all, I have stayed in many 3 stars and been quite happy but when the occasion is special why not treat yourself if it’s in the budget? Regardless of which room you are in you will have a lovely time at Dreams.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rooms at Dreams

Gypsydaughter, I wasn't implying anything negative when I used the term "picky". I'll be the first to admit that I can be a very picky person, but by that, I mean that I have higher standards than average. I worded my post poorly, and I sincerely apologize for giving you the impression that I was bashing you. I was just trying to convey that, if room decor, etc. is an important part of her enjoyment of her vacation, she would be better off in the Preferred Tower. I agree with you 100%, regardless of the tower, Julie will have a wonderful time at Dreams! Again, sorry for my poor choice of words!

Tsawwassen, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rooms at Dreams

Hi WI=cold,

No apology needed :)

I actually wasn't referring to your post and I should have been more clear and for that I apologize. I was actually referring to all the reviews for Dreams where people talk about being picky if you stay in the new tower.