We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollar Rent Car Puerto Vallarta -Don't Rent There!!

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Republic ofTexas
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dollar Rent Car Puerto Vallarta -Don't Rent There!!

Had reservatopn # Q2851066 with Dollar made on internet for 6 day rental Feb 09, 2012 at cost of 16.45/day or total of 65.82US for a subcompact. I had OK'd using my Mastercard insurance for collision and was prepared to buy extra liability coverage. Young man at desk was friendly as was I until he quoted me a figure of 345.00 US for the 6 days. Even with the 17dollar per day liability coverage this was way too much- I asked him why the jacked up price and he said it was because I refused the other insurance. I asked him to show me how he calculated the total and he couldn't - he was just punching in figures to his computer. He said "take it or leave it" and we did- leave it that is...don't rent from these people. Will Carter, Texas

46 replies to this topic
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollar Rent Car Puerto Vallarta -Don't Rent There!!

If my math is correct $16.45 per day x 6 days =$98.70 not $65.82.Then there is a MANDITORY Mexican liability insurance.Did you really think that you were going to rent a car for almost a week for $65?If you would have researched this on TA before hand,you would have known better.I do think that $345 is still high for a 6 day rental.

Republic ofTexas
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollar Rent Car Puerto Vallarta -Don't Rent There!!

Thanks George: Your math is correct - I posted the weekly rate of 65.82 that they quoted me without thinking it did not square with the daily rate x 6. The local liability they offered me was 17/day x 6 or 102 US. This came to a total of 186US with fees and tax - I did expect to rent for this price.

Roxbury, New Jersey
Level Contributor
144 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollar Rent Car Puerto Vallarta -Don't Rent There!!

I to rented from Dollar in PV from 2/10/12 thru 2/27/12 thru Travelocity. Cost for an economy was $269.00 for the 17 days which I prepaid with a mastercard.. I knew there would be a "small" charge for insurance that wouldn't be covered by a credit card. That small charge ended up being $20.00 US per day for an extra charge of $340.00. Since I had prepaid, I took it.

The next day I began driving to Manzanillo, Mx., a distance of app. 140 miles. About 30 miles into the trip, I got a flat tire, right rear.. Anyone who travels Rt. 200 south knows on a lot of that road there is no shoulder to pull over on. I had to ride about a 1/2 mile on the flat until I could safely pull off the road. It took me about 15 minutes to figure out how to work the damn jack they give you with a rental car. I then put the donut tire on the car and completed the 100 plus miles on the donut. Of course I had no cell phone service in the area i had got he flat to make any calls. Once in Manzanillo I was able to call Dollar in PV only to find out there's no Dollar Rental in Manzanillo. Dollar (Mr. Gonzalez) contacted Thrifty in Manzanillo. They sent a female to my resort to check on my situation. When she arrived, she looked at the tire and asked why didn't I buy a new one. I asked he why should I and her response was "because you rode on it." I explained to her I had no choice due to not having any shoulder to pull over on but she could care less. I then politely (ahem) asked her to leave. She did. She apparently called Mr. Gonzalez at Dollar in PV who called me a short time later. He told me to buy a new tire, which I did at a cost of $89.00 US and also told me they would see if they could make an adjustment to my bill when we got back. Well we brought the car back to Dollar on 2/27/12 where I spoke with Mr. Gonzalez. I was told he has to contact the corporate office to see if anything could be done about my spending $89.00 for a tire, however it couldn't be done then and there. They would have to E-mail me their findings. Well I still haven't heard and won't hold my breath. I'm another who will never use Dollar or Thrifty agian. I believe they are one and the same company.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollar Rent Car Puerto Vallarta -Don't Rent There!!

Once again, I recommend that the only car rental you should use is Gecko Rent a Car, you'll never have a problem with them.

Roxbury, New Jersey
Level Contributor
144 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dollar Rent Car Puerto Vallarta -Don't Rent There!!

I'm beginning to agree with you JR. I know their located in Buceras. Do they meet you at the airport when you arrive or take a cab up tu Bucerus?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,031 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dollar Rent Car Puerto Vallarta -Don't Rent There!!

They will meet you at the airport.

Los Angeles...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dollar Rent Car Puerto Vallarta -Don't Rent There!!

Dollar Rental in Puerto Vallarta is a scam. They will over charge you for liability insurance and will also invent damage every time you rent with them...never ever use Dollar in Puerto Vallarta. When I returned my car they pointed out things that were simply normal wear and tear. While I was arguing this point there were two other customers having the exact same argument with them.......... never seen anything like it in my life.

Hinton, Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dollar Rent Car Puerto Vallarta -Don't Rent There!!

A representative from Gecko was waiting for us in the airport parking lot with the car. All I had to do was sign the paper work, pay him and off we went! Took a total of about 10 minutes! Gecko is the only company I will rent from.

Las Vegas, Nevada
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Dollar Rent Car Puerto Vallarta -Don't Rent There!!

OMG I am SO GLAD I am not alone in this! We rented in October. My friends flight was canceled, so I had to book a car in 20 minutes while I had cel phone service in Denver (she had rented thru someone else....but I didn't have time to check a ton of places). Got to PV, picked up car but they wanted almost $600 for 8 days insurence- above what we were supposed to pay ($89)! I had full coverage from CC and US insurance (I did check that)- so took their lowest to take car off lot..... noted all damage- but you guessed it....bring it back and they found a SCUFF! Am still in disputes with credit card over this. We didn't damage the car at all! Another group was in office white as ghosts at their $800 quote for insurance....I told them "look what happened to us".....they went elsewhere I think.

Maddening!

Edited: 13 February 2013, 07:25
San Diego...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Dollar Rent Car Puerto Vallarta -Don't Rent There!!

I just had a very bad experience with claudia & Antonio at the dollar rent a car office at the airport (FEB 21, 2013). They charged me a $450 peso ($40 usd) cleaning damage fee for spots (which were barely visible) on the back seat of our car. In over 20 years of renting cars I've never been charged for cleaning damage. Antonio told me he was doing his job, so I'm guessing that he is being instructed to charge extra and make up damages. Most people, including myself, don't have time to argue since they have to catch their plane... What a Ripoff!

Reply to: Dollar Rent Car Puerto Vallarta -Don't Rent There!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted