We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UPSing tequilla and souvenirs

Peoria, Illinois
6 posts
Save Topic
UPSing tequilla and souvenirs

When we are in Mexico, we would like to send some items (especially tequilla) back to the states so we don't have to carry in our luggage and pay extra for being overweight.

Is there a limit on the number of bottles that you can mail back to the US?

Has anyone ever done this and is it worth the savings on the tequilla?

Where in Puerto Vallarta is there a UPS store or Mexican equivalent?

Thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
SoCal
Level Contributor
9,704 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UPSing tequilla and souvenirs

I do not know all the ins and outs, but shipping to and from Mexico has never been an easy task.

On most of our trips our friends who live there order things shipping to my address to bring down to them.

For the hassle and shipping cost involved I seriously doubt any savings would be worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: UPSing tequilla and souvenirs

And there will be NO savings. I just sent a package down to PV (basically an envelope that barely weighed 1/2 a pound, containing a condo key) by courier, and it cost me close to $100. It also took 3.5 days with a priority delivery attached to it.

The only courier any of my local friends suggest using is DHL.

Sending from Mexico to home, expect the same thing...expensive. More expensive than just bringing home what you want and paying an overweight luggage fee.

In terms of what you can bring back, see the Dept. of Homeland Security webpage, and check your local state duty free limits.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,886 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UPSing tequilla and souvenirs

Check the Homeland website but from what I understand, you can not ship alcohol in a package within the US so probably even a bigger no from Mexico to US.We used to send postcards from Mexico back home. We would be there for 2 weeks and send them out on the first full day and we would be back home for several weeks some time before any arrived.

Edited: 25 March 2012, 22:10
Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UPSing tequilla and souvenirs

Alcohol, both wine and spirits, can be shipped in the U.S. using FedEx, UPS, etc. I do it quite often. Chuck...

5. Re: UPSing tequilla and souvenirs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 11:40