We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

End of the buses in town?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisco
Level Contributor
97 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
End of the buses in town?

We visited a couple weeks ago and have been going to PV for several years. A few locals told us that they are going to be eliminating the bus routes in the city, requiring locals (and tourists) to get to the out perimeter of town in order to catch a bus. The locals we talked to were very disheartened by this as many claimed this would cause them great difficulty in getting to/from work.

Does anyone have additional information on if/when this is going to happen and what the actual routes will be?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: End of the buses in town?

I can't imagine.

I just spent about 10 minutes google-mexico-news searching for anything on this subject, using all the Spanish words for "bus" that I know. Couldn't find any mention of this.

Perhaps they were referring to intercity buses, rather than the local ones?

Peace River, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: End of the buses in town?

Yes, it would be a shame if they discontinued their local bus service. The local buses in Mexico are one of the main reasons I've chosen Mexico for the last three years as my vacation destination. I love being able to get around without having to rent a car and drive in a strange country...not to mention the cultural experience.

Wisco
Level Contributor
97 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: End of the buses in town?

I'm not sure. We were just told that there wouldn't be any more buses in town because "they" are going to try to reduce traffic and noise. I can't imagine either...

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: End of the buses in town?

You were mis-informed. There is talk of reducing the number of busses going through downtown, that's all. Many duplicated routes in downtown, but we only have 2 streets for north and south travel, the bus system is really good, you can get anywhere.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,180 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: End of the buses in town?

I think the idea of streamlining is a great one. They're doing the same thing here, and we don't have near the bus routes that PV does (nor the efficiency for the price).

Eliminating duplication in order to create a more efficient and user friendly system can only be a good thing. Hey, it might even free up some of the buses to take on different routes that aren't covered yet or covered with any consistency.

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,306 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: End of the buses in town?

i just hope that people don't lose their jobs

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,180 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: End of the buses in town?

Buses are pretty much owned by their drivers, and they have a union (just like the taxis only not quite as powerful...close, but not quite). They'll just move them somewhere else.

Milford, Connecticut
Level Contributor
311 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: End of the buses in town?

FYI. Buses thru El Centro were curtained a couple times due to ongoing construction and the recent Tiangues Turístico Convention.

delaware united...
Level Contributor
291 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: End of the buses in town?

Do or dont the drivers own their own bus.I dont understand what is ment by they pretty much own their bus.Do they hire other drivers or do they drive from morn to nite.Or lease them or what.I guess I dont understand that statement...

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: End of the buses in town?

Some busses are individually owned and some owned by cooperatives, plus two or three bus companies, but most busses are driven home after their shift. BTW the union is the same as most taxis 'CTM' which is very powerful !