We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding next year, but blood tests?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding next year, but blood tests?

We're hoping to get married next year and we've been looking at Dreams and other all-inclusives for ourselves and the wedding (but will also let our guests stay where ever they like and where their budgets allow them to go).

Big question though is I noticed in the fine print of the dreams resort that we need to get blood tests (bride and groom) done IN mexico before we get married. Is this normal? and it costs up to $250?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,902 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding next year, but blood tests?

Yes it's normal. The only recognized legal marriage in Mexico is the civil one. I would strongly recommend you look into all requirements in advance and decide how you would like to proceed...many couples opt to "marry" in advance in their home country before going to Mexico, and hold the decorative ceremony before an officiant down there. They do this because the legal and paperwork requirements are less onerous than waiting until arrival.

To do all necessary requirements IN Mexico, it's more complex, requires more paperwork, and yes - blood tests.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,483 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding next year, but blood tests?

It is a very thoughtful idea to allow guests to choose their own place to stay due to personal expense, ......but unfortunately it may also mean that if you want them to be able to visit you at your resort.....they may have to pay for a day pass, not just at Dreams but many places.

Our friends were having their wedding at an AI and we wanted to stay elsewhere, but found out that we could not visit our friends at their resort OR attend the wedding without paying for a day pass, which naturally locked the guests into having to stay at the expensive AI.... since the day pass pretty much negated the savings somewhere else. Not trying to be a bummer....just wanted to give you a heads up so you can research.

A day pass fee seemed ridiculous on the evening of the wedding since the bride and groom were paying per head for their guests dinner's at the wedding. Well, this was somewhere else in Mexico.....

So, do your research to the max which it looks like you are already doing.....our young friends did not.

Happy planning and Congratulations. :-)

Edited: 17 April 2012, 03:55
Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding next year, but blood tests?

Have you considered doing the legal ceremony quietly where you live and just doing the pretty ceremony here? That way you do not have to jump through all the hoops of a civil ceremony (the legal part) here in Mexico- nor have to register the legal marriage when you return to Vancouver. This is how most people do it and it saves a lot of time and money. Plus, no one has to be the wiser :) (except your witnesses)

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
252 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding next year, but blood tests?

We legally got married in PV last May. Yes, there are a few more steps to do than getting married in Canada, and yes we both had to get blood tests. We had two wedding planners (one at the hotel, and one who coordinated the legal ceremony), and one of them picked us up for the blood tests, took us to a lab, and had everything done for us. It was super quick (and painless!). I would say most people do the legal part at home, but for us, we figured if our guests were paying that much money to see us get married..they would want to see us get married. And for myself, I thought it would have felt fake. If you have any questions you can PM me, I'll be glad to answer them! And congrats! You will have a fabulous wedding. At a family event this past weekend people were still talking about our wedding. :)

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding next year, but blood tests?

$250 ? that maybe pesos, we use the same sign '$'

San Antonio...
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
14,079 posts
598 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding next year, but blood tests?

I am with JR, has to be pesos not dollars...you can have a whole blood profile and other lab tests for 250 US...

Even 250 pesos for a blood test for marriage is high, but lot of good suggestions here as well...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding next year, but blood tests?

Oh I hope its pesos! That makes a bit more sense!

Thanks for the feed back.

Today I've been looking at other resorts and don't see the blood tests on their fine prints... but I do like the idea of a ceremony at home and just a 'renew' in Mexico.

Probably a bit cheaper too!

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding next year, but blood tests?

I'm staying at Playa Los Arco we will be arriving April 19th 2012. We paid 450$ (American) for our wedding which comes with flowers a English speaking minister and the legal documents. They never said anything about a blood test..

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
252 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding next year, but blood tests?

Nathan, if you are legally getting married in Mexico, then you do need a blood test. You also have to go watch a half hour video on marriage (they call it a "marriage class"). As far as I know, there is only one woman in the PV area that does the legal marriages (as opposed to being married by a priest in a church), and she conducts the ceremony in Spanish, but there is an English translator as well. The whole ceremony took less than 10 minutes (but I think she was rushing because I was about 15 minutes late and was getting yelled at by our wedding planner, saying "the judge" had to leave right away :) ).

Edited: 18 April 2012, 15:49
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding next year, but blood tests?

"Marriage class"?? That must be something very new and it certainly doesn't apply for Mexicans (a friend got married last week without one). Or maybe it's a way of getting some extra cash.....