We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight to PV with layover in Guadalajara

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ghastlyone
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Flight to PV with layover in Guadalajara

We are going to be flying to PV via Aeromexico in June and I have a few questions regarding customs. Our flight has a layover in Guadalajara before we take the connecting flight to PVR. Will we have to go through customs in Guadalajara or PV? Also, will our checked baggage go straight through to our final destination, or will we have to claim it in Guadalajara and re-check it in for the flight to PV? We only have a 75 minute layover so I want to know what to expect so I can manage the time as best I can.

Also, My return flight is direct from PVR to LAX, also on Aeromexico. Will I be able to pack a bottle of tequila in my carry on or will it have to go in the checked luggage?

Thanks for any advice. It's been about 7 years since our last trip to PV and I'm sure that some regulations must have changed.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
223 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight to PV with layover in Guadalajara

I would be interested to know the response too as we have booked the same flight/s to PVR from LAX in November!

A 75 minute layover seems quite short, especially since I have read apparenty you have to go through Customs at your first entry into Mexico i.e., GDL (not sure how accurate that information is though).

Edited: 02 May 2012, 02:18
Anaheim Hills, CA
Level Contributor
494 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight to PV with layover in Guadalajara

When we have left out of LAX with layover in Mexico City then on to PVR you clear customs in Mexico City ( it is your first point of entry into the country that customs is done). Your checked luggage just goes to final destination. Only carry ons must once again get scanned before heading on to PVR.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight to PV with layover in Guadalajara

My bet is you'll go through immigrations and customs in GDL, regarding whether you need to retrieve your luggage there I'd contact the airline and find out for sure.

You will only be able to take a bottle in your carry-on on the way back if you buy it at the duty free store at PVR, otherwise it needs to go in your checked luggage.

Dang I sure miss the regular non-stops from LAX on Aeromex.

Edited: 02 May 2012, 02:33
ghastlyone
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight to PV with layover in Guadalajara

Thanks everyone for the helpful answers!

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight to PV with layover in Guadalajara

Your luggage will most likely be checked through to PV and you should only have to go through immigration in Guad and customs in PV. Check with your airline. I have never gone through customs in Guad or Mexico City when flying into PV.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,286 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight to PV with layover in Guadalajara

I have done this route to PVR thru GDL multiple times. Luggage has always been checked thru. Immigration was at GDL and depending on whose metal we were on for the last leg determined whether we even went thru customs at PVR. Local carriers often land at the domestic terminal and therefore no customs

Edited: 02 May 2012, 22:44
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,269 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight to PV with layover in Guadalajara

What acajane and Iwant2go said. Don't confuse Immigration with Customs. Immigration is for your body. Customs is for your bags. Your first point of arrival in Mexico, you have to go through Immigration. Your bags should be checked all the way through to PVR, but check with your airline when you depart for sure. So you should have time to go through Immigration in Guad and you won't go through Customs until you reach PVR.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,859 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight to PV with layover in Guadalajara

Customs and immigration go fairly quickly in Guad. and the distance from internationalarrival to national departure is not far at all, so 75 minutes should be fine, no matter how it ends up....but you never know...I would call your airline to get direct answers to these questions. have a nice trip...

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,577 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight to PV with layover in Guadalajara

When I flew from LAX thru Guad to PV on Aeromexico I only went through immigration in Guad. We were shuttled to the domestic terminal in Guad, landed in the domestic terminal in PV and exited without going through customs. I agree 75 minutes will give you plenty of time in Guad.

United has stopped their direct flight from LAX. It was short lived and now connects in Houston.

Air Tran is starting direct flights to Mex. City and Cabo San Lucas from Orange County next month. Maybe they will decide to add PV soon. It sure would be nice to have more non-stop options again.

Edited: 03 May 2012, 08:01
10. Re: Flight to PV with layover in Guadalajara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 13:16