We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Vallarta vs. Nuevo Vallarta

New Jersey
8 posts
Save Topic
Puerto Vallarta vs. Nuevo Vallarta

My husband, daughter and I are heading to Puerto Vallarta in November from the 18th to the 30th. We plan to stay at the VDP for at least our trip because we like being close to down town and Mismaloya. We have stayed in Nuevo Vallarta before and really like Bucerias and Sayulita. We are planning to hit both of those areas again this trip and don't know if we should switch hotels for part of the trip or just make the bus ride from VDP. What would you do?

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Nuevo Vallarta
Nuevo Vallarta
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Sayulita
Sayulita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,393 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Vallarta vs. Nuevo Vallarta

When I saw your subject-heading, it brought up all kinds of thoughts since, as you know, they are not the same. Far from it.

However, you've been to both places before and you are trying to get up to Bucerias and Sayulita again. To answer the question of what the rest of us would do, I can only speak for myself.

I usually travel alone so what I would do is to stay in PV because when I stayed in Nuevo for a week (hoping to be closer to Bucerias and Sayulita), I found it very difficult (and expensive) to get from my hotel in Nuevo (Mayan Sea Garden) to Bucerias and Sayulita. There is no bus service from Nuevo north on 200, so you're stuck with a cab from Nuevo, which is very expensive. At the Mayan Sea Garden, it would have cost me 120 pesos just to get to Bucerias. At that point though, I could have caught the bus to Sayulita, in Bucerias.

I don't know how you are traveling and whether you're depending on taxis or buses or will rent a car --- or --- if your budget is an issue --- or --- what part of Nuevo you are thinking of (south around the Mayans or North near the Rius and Villa del Palmar Flamingos). All of this bears on your decision.

For me, I'd stay in PV as it's easier and cheaper to get to Bucerias and Sayulita (even though further) on the bus, but if you have a car or you have friends near Nuevo who could drive you or if you don't mind spending some money on a taxi, Nuevo is closer and --- as you know --- the beaches are nice. Since you will have already stayed in PV, you wouldn't be missing a lot.

Kinda depends on your personal situation -- budget, transportation preferences and all that. If I had a car, I'd stay in Nuevo for those trips -- but I don't.

Good luck and have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Sayulita
Sayulita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Mayan Palace Puerto Vallarta
Mayan Palace Puerto...
1,058 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Sea Garden Nuevo Vallarta
Sea Garden Nuevo Vallarta
738 Reviews
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
Villa Del Palmar Flamingos Beach Resort & Spa Riviera Nayarit
Villa Del Palmar...
2,717 Reviews
Flamingos, Mexico
Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9,543 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Vallarta vs. Nuevo Vallarta

since you already stayed in nv---i'd stay in pv. also since you've been to the north beaches---try some of the southern places like yelapa, las animas etc if you have not been there---have a blast

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
221 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Vallarta vs. Nuevo Vallarta

I've stayed at both VDP's (PV and Nuevo). We like both but actually prefer Nuevo because the beach area is much nicer. If you taxi from VDP PV downtown or south, the fare is somewhat comparable to Bucerias from the VDP resort in Nuevo. But that is in part because VDP Flamingos is closer to Bucerias than the resorts in the heart of Nuevo.

Mentioned in this post
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Flamingos
Flamingos
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,393 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Vallarta vs. Nuevo Vallarta

Yep, if the OP was staying up North in Nuevo, it's walking distance (for mobile adults) on the beach to Bucerias but she hasn't told us where she's staying. Maybe Flamingos, since they are staying in VdP downtown first. There is a toddler with them though so that makes it a little harder to trek the beach to Bucerias.

Maybe she'll tell us what she has in mind in Nuevo. Makes a difference if it's South or North. Her situation is way different from some of ours. Mine anyway. Haven't taken a toddler to Vallarta yet, much as I'd like my grandchildren to come.

Mentioned in this post
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Sussex, New Jersey
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Vallarta vs. Nuevo Vallarta

Thanks for the responses so far. MarlySF you are right, we would stay at VDP Flamingos in Nuevo. We did the walk several times when we stayed last time but with our daughter it might be harder. We don't plan on renting a car. When we are in Puerto Vallarta we just use the bus. When we stayed in Nuevo we used taxes to get places if we couldn't walk which cost us a small fortune over the two weeks we were there. If we stayed in Puerto Vallarta the whole time, how much would it cost to be to Bucerias or Sayulita by bus and how long would it take?

We do plan to go South too while we are staying in Puerto Vallarta but probably not as far as yelapa, etc because I am not sure how comfortable I feel putting my toddler on the water taxi.

Mentioned in this post
Flamingos
Flamingos
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Sayulita
Sayulita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Vallarta vs. Nuevo Vallarta

Fares are Bucerías - 12 pesos, Nuevo Vallarta & Valle de Banderas - 13 pesos, Destiladeras Beach - 16 pesos and Punta Mita (El Anclote Beach) - 23 pesos.

The Compostela-Pacifico line (White & Green) has service to Sayulita - 25 pesos, and takes you to the Sports Stadium. It leaves from the same stops as the ATM Line, on the return the last stop is at Plaza Genovesa. The same bus line also has service to San Francisco (San Pancho) and Rincón de Guayabitos, but not into the towns themselves.

About an hour to Bucerias and 90 min to Sayulita.

The locals take toddlers and babies in the water taxis all the time.

Mentioned in this post
Nuevo Vallarta
Nuevo Vallarta
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Destiladeras Beach
Destiladeras Beach
232 Reviews
La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Mexico
Punta de Mita
Punta de Mita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
El Anclote
El Anclote
122 Reviews
Punta de Mita, Mexico
Sayulita
Sayulita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,182 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Vallarta vs. Nuevo Vallarta

....and the water taxi's do have life jackets, but you have to ask for them, but don't know how small they run. One trip to Yelapa the driver thought it might be a little rough so he asked everyone to wear a life jacket....so they do have them. I can understand your concern with a toddler though.

Sussex, New Jersey
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Vallarta vs. Nuevo Vallarta

Its not just a water taxi in Puerto Vallarta that worries me it is just a boat ANYWHERE that worries me. Obviously people all over the world put their kids in boats its just something im not sure I am comfortable with, life jacket or not.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,731 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Vallarta vs. Nuevo Vallarta

But you put your child in a car though, right? IMO, same risk factors apply.

Sussex, New Jersey
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto Vallarta vs. Nuevo Vallarta

I have to disagree about the same risks- say the boat flips and I was unable to get to her for whatever reason, if she was face first into the water, even in a life jacket she would end up drowning. If my car flips even if I am killed she will still be able to breath. May be extreme but I think there are different risks in a boat, with a child that is so young that can't really swim or save themselves.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Vallarta