We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elections and Alcohol

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,569 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Elections and Alcohol

I just realized my first full day (Sunday, July 1st) in PV will be election day. Does anyone know when liquor sales will be cut off on Saturday? I hope I will be able to stock up when I arrive.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,339 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elections and Alcohol

Why chance it? Get a few cases of beer Saturday morning early for the beach on Sunday. You will have lots and lots of friends that day.

"Funman"

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
310 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elections and Alcohol

I was in PV on election day back back in 2000. As I recall, you couldn't buy alcohol starting Saturday at noon through Sunday at 11:59. We were told a day in advance by the hotel, so we went to the market bought a few bottles and had our own cocktails on the beach and by the pool. All of the night clubs were closed and not even the restaurants could serve. Pack a bottle in your checked baggage and buy mixer when you get down there. Have fun!

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,569 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elections and Alcohol

Well this could be a problem since my flight lands at 11:30 a.m. and I will need that first Pacifico pronto. Looks like I may need to reach out to Bzy1 to do a little liquor shopping for me. We can make a trade...Pacifico for chocolate :)

Edited: 06 May 2012, 21:21
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,339 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Elections and Alcohol

We were there during election day many years ago at an all inclusive. They served throughout the day. No problem man.

"Funman"

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Elections and Alcohol

Hey Jane,

No problem! I can shop for you and get it to you on Saturday if you want- Carlos gets home about 6:30 PM.... send me your list :)

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Elections and Alcohol

I don't recall the gringo bars being closed for the last election. ?

St. Louis
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Elections and Alcohol

We are staying at Casa Dona Susana next week. I called and asked if they were going to be serving at their bar and the answer was an emphatic "no". Not even their AI guests. We get in at noon on Saturday and will have a couple of bottles in the checked baggage.

Any advise on places that may be pouring?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,810 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Elections and Alcohol

You may have to "go walkabout" when you arrive to find out. It will be a case by case thing as to who might consider it worth the fine to flout the law.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Elections and Alcohol

I've heard the fine is 100,000 pesos - doubt many businesses will risk it. (Of course, paying off the inspectors for a lot less is quite possible.)

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Elections and Alcohol

I would see if someone could pre-purchase something for you on Friday?