We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fish diablo style

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Fish diablo style

We just got back from another wonderful trip to PV. However, we did learn on this trip that we do not like fish diablo. The first place that we ordered it was at Langostino's on the beach. We asked the waiter and thought it was a spicy sauce over grilled shrimp & scallops. The sauce tasted more like spaghettio's sauce with a tiny bit of heat added - not good. Dummie me, tried it again at El brujo's. Same yucky sauce that ruined the fish for me. My son was smart and orded the Molcajete Mixto which was delicious!! Tip learned from this trip - do not like diablo!!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,980 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fish diablo style

Well, at least you gave it a second try at a different restaurant so good for you on that. Strange that neither suited your palate though, since obviously you were trying to find the best rendition, trying two different places.

I've had it several places (can't even remember now) but I really enjoy the camarones diablo at El Coleguita in La Cruz. Haven't tried that dish at the El Coleguita at the Marina but you've intrigued me enough to give it a try soon. This is making me hungry. When it's done well, I love it.

Maybe some others will chime in as to the best places for spicy fish/shrimp in PV. Yum.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,461 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fish diablo style

To me, when in Vallarta, having fish or shellfish 'diablo-style' means a "spicing-up" of the (otherwise, quite often) bland flavours of the tropical fish and shellfish.

I usually like my fish and shellfish free of such "enhancements", but will admit, the warm water stuff often needs something to "enhance" its lack of taste.

Edited: 20 May 2012, 23:12
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,202 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fish diablo style

I love diablo, in general, but sometimes it is too spicy even for me, but not always.

I¨m not sure why you posted this here instead of on your Facebook Page or in a letter to your family. Taste is individual. Lots of people like diablo. Some don´t. Like anything.

Anyway, glad you found something you liked.

Terre Haute, IN
Level Contributor
296 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fish diablo style

I was just looking at the menu for Mariscos Polos. Any opinion on their Red Snapper Diablo or Shrimp Diablo. I'm hoping for spicy. Is this the place for that?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,980 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fish diablo style

You can't go wrong there. I was thinking the same thing on Polo's. I've never had it there but everything at Polo's is excellent so, if you're in the mood for pescado diablo, that's the place.

Last time I was there, I had the Pacifico fish (cooked in beer). We were leaving the next morning so didn't want to chance the spicy stuff at that point, travel-wise --- just in case.

This is making me so hungry I'll probably try that dish there in a couple of weeks myself. Report back if you try it before I get there, please?

weatherfield
Level Contributor
272 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Fish diablo style

"I¨m not sure why you posted this here instead of on your Facebook Page or in a letter to your family. Taste is individual. Lots of people like diablo. Some don´t. Like anything. "

A

Isn't this what a message board is for? Or is it only for what certain people on this board suits them?

Edited: 21 May 2012, 02:43
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fish diablo style

retiree...oh how I wish to be....oh sorry, back to the topic. I have tried Diablo-style shrimp and fish in several different places; not ordering it myself as I can only do so much spicy, but tasting off of generous friends' plates. I don't care for it in general. Nothing wrong with that. Your coming on this board to talk about you not liking diablo style...nothing wrong with that. I seem to recall a recent thread about tequila. Some liked this kind; some liked that. Don't remember anyone reprimanding the posters on that topic. Anyway, you tried it in a couple of places and didn't like it. No problem. Try it another way next time. I like "al mojo de ajo", with just garlic and butter (shrimp and fish) or Veracruz style, with sauteed bell peppers, onions and other stuff.

Thank goodness there are SO many ways for SO many people to enjoy SSOO many things in PV.

Terre Haute, IN
Level Contributor
296 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fish diablo style

MarlySF -- I won't be there until the latter part of July. I look forward to your review. I've been planning on trying Polo's a couple of times this year.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fish diablo style

I would go to Polo's

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fish diablo style

Al Diablo is usually better on shrimp than fish. They make the sauce here with cheap ketchup that is sugary. And some chili for zip. Heinz ketchup is different, most use del monte or hunts which is more like candy than ketchup. :)