We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update on flying to Mexico with dogs

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aptos
Level Contributor
41 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Update on flying to Mexico with dogs

I just received an update from Alaska Airlines stating that Mexico no longer allows passengers to enter the country with dogs in the cabin. Flying with them in the cargo portion of the plane is still allowed. Just thought I'd give a head's up to anyone else who may be planning to fly with their pooch.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update on flying to Mexico with dogs

It's been a mess this week as they just imposed these new regulations! PLUS most airlines do not fly pets in cargo in the summer!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Update on flying to Mexico with dogs

You might want to read this thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150807-i8-k539194…

The conclusion there seems to be that there is no Mexican rule or law but a couple of airlines have made up their own (and it's always easier to blame someone else!).

Aptos
Level Contributor
41 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update on flying to Mexico with dogs

Thanks for the info. Looks like our airline just started implementing this. Guess it's better than finding out at the airport...

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Update on flying to Mexico with dogs

Apparently it's not a problem on Delta, American, Westjet or Air Canada. The Mexican rule only applies to domestic flights.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Update on flying to Mexico with dogs

Not true JR! Of the ones you have listed only West Jet at the PVR airport has been allowing small dogs in cabin as of last week...I've been dealing with this for over a week trying to get two dogs to new homes in Winnipeg and Virginia.... And have heard of many people dealing with more or less the same issue. Hopefully enough people will sign the petitions going around to have everyone rethink this and to define where, why, when and how this new rule cam into effect.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Update on flying to Mexico with dogs

Oops...I have heard various stories on Air Canada.... Yes if small dog and a direct flight....No if small plan, not direct and cargo for larger dogs.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Update on flying to Mexico with dogs

We have been discussing coming down for a more lengthy stay and perhaps bringing our youngest (a dachsund/hound mix) with us. She's too big for the cabin, I think (30lbs), so even if still allowed would need to be in cargo. Can anyone tell my just how traumatic it is for dogs?

Thanks.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Update on flying to Mexico with dogs

I was reporting from a post on Gay's Yahoo list, from calls someone made to those airlines.

Florida
Level Contributor
44 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Update on flying to Mexico with dogs

I have been flying Continental for years to Mexico with my Chihuahua in cabin. My friend who is booked on Alaske Airlines was just called & told no in cabin pets. We have been researching for two days. We called counsrlates and finally found out the Mexican Aeronautical association passed this law in 2007. It was never enforced until now.We all need to call the counselates and ask them to get this crazy law overturned.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,804 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Update on flying to Mexico with dogs

If you were deathly allergic to pet dander you wouldn't call it a crazy law.