We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Hotels - Centro/Zona Romantica

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap Hotels - Centro/Zona Romantica

So I'm actually looking at moving to PV in Fall of 2013 so want to take at least 2 more trips there before the move, I just got back from PV a couple of weeks ago when I made the final decision. I've been thinking about the move since 2010 on my first trip to PV.

Anyhow, I'm looking to find good cheap places to stay to facilitate saving up for the final move. Any recommendations for places in Centro or Zona Romantica? I'm hoping to keep it under $50/night, and my next trip is planned for Nov. 22 - Dec. 4th, so about 12 nights. I've found a couple of hopeful finds; Hotel Belmar, Posada de Roger Hotel, and Portonovo Plaza. I don't need anything fancy, Portonovo is a little north for my taste but seems nice. A nice view is a plus but not a necessity. Any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Zona Romantica
Zona Romantica
3,195 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Hotel Belmar
Hotel Belmar
180 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,148 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap Hotels - Centro/Zona Romantica

How about the issue of the comfort of the bed? When I've stayed in some great cheap places over the years (including one you mentioned), I always found that my back was aching the next morning. Those Mexican mattresses can be a challenge.

Is that an issue? Just so people know where to direct you.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap Hotels - Centro/Zona Romantica

I've read about the Mexican mattresses before and I don't mind it being firm as long as it's not a rock. :) So a comfortable mattress would be nice, but I'm okay with something on the firmer side. I can always get a great cheap massage for any backaches!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap Hotels - Centro/Zona Romantica

Even less than the ones you mentioned, mostly on F. Madero, south side, - Azteca, Ana Liz, Bernal .....all about 300 pesos. Clean and basic, some with balconies and kitchenettes.

Edited: 16 July 2012, 14:20
Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,560 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap Hotels - Centro/Zona Romantica

You might wish to check out the 'Budget Lodging' listings here: complete with addresses, contact info, rates, and etc.

http://vallartainfo.com/hotels.html

USA
Level Contributor
613 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap Hotels - Centro/Zona Romantica

I can vouch for the Hotel Belmar as a really great budget option in Old Town as I stayed there this past March. Really nice people at the desk, decent rooms, all the hot water you need for showers, safe area, taxis/buses at the front door, good food everywhere nearby, AC optional add on which saves you money if you don't need it - to go with what seems like jet propelled ceiling fans to keep the place comfy, strong wi-fi, balcony/kitchenette options available, free water in the hallway and quite possibly in the most perfect location in PV (at least to me) for budget purposes between downtown and old town. When I arrived, I had booked an exterior balcony room online and the girls at the desk gave me the option of staying in that or taking the upgraded kitchenette at no additional charge since it was available so that made a great first impression. The only potential issue you may have if you're a light sleeper is that it's located right on Insurgentes so you'll get all of the buses, traffic, vendors and random street noise well into the night. I slept with the fan on, tv on and went to bed each night exhausted so I didn't even notice it. No complaints here!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Belmar
Hotel Belmar
180 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,236 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap Hotels - Centro/Zona Romantica

Hotel Posada de Roger is my favorite. I've stayed there a dozen times. Would return in a heart-beat. Love that place. Any questions, just ask. I like it best for the under $50 price range because it has a lovely small pool and rooftop sundeck, which most of the others (in that price range) don't. The staff has always been friendly, place is spotless, lots of small ammenities for a budget hotel (fan, AC, TV, purified water, money change at reception, lockboxes off reception, etc. etc.)

suze

Estevan, Canada
Level Contributor
544 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap Hotels - Centro/Zona Romantica

I don't mind the places on Madero...def.cheap and I have stayed at near all of them...but for the 50 dollar range one of my Favs is Hotel Encino...I loved the quaint rooftop pool with deck area...there is a nice little cafe bar on roof also and a great ocean view ...wonderful sunsets from the cafe bar and roof!!!! Hotel Belmar is also nice,I prefer the top floor rooms to distance myself from all the noise from the street below but it is a lot of stairs to climb(no elevator) also it is about 5 or 6 blocks from beach....so def.no beach or sunset views....nice views of gringo gulch from upper north facing rooms!!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Encino Hotel
Encino Hotel
348 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Hotel Belmar
Hotel Belmar
180 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Grass Valley...
Level Contributor
539 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap Hotels - Centro/Zona Romantica

You might check out PV Kid's rentals. This unit is in a great "old town" location. Lovely building with all the amenities.

puerto-vallarta-rentals.com/limon3/index.htm

Seattle
Level Contributor
48,236 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap Hotels - Centro/Zona Romantica

If you don't need/want a pool the suggestions along Madero or Belmar are good ones. Over that area I've always liked the look of Villa del Mar.

If you want a pool Roger's, Encino (as mentioned), or Posada Rio Cuale are reasonably priced ones. I looked at Portonovo seriously last time and for myself decided it was too far north from my chosen stomping grounds. suze

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap Hotels - Centro/Zona Romantica

Posada Rio Cuale is now a condo building