We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Vallerta Vs Cancun for a fun vacation

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Puerto Vallerta Vs Cancun for a fun vacation

We are a young couple wanting a fun vacation but can't choose between Puerto Vallerta or Cancun! We want to stay at a all inclusive resort, that has a fun vibe with a good beach any suggestions on what is the best place to go?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,194 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Vallerta Vs Cancun for a fun vacation

Either place would be a good choice, although the average age is going to be lower in Cancun or Playa del Carmen than in Puerto Vallarta. I can tell you the Royal Playa del Carmen is a fun party resort in Playa del Carmen, also the 'RIU Tequila', which is in Playacar.

Beaches are nicer on the Yucatan coast- but the Puerto Vallarta area has mountains and the Yucatan is flat, so it evens the score.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Vallerta Vs Cancun for a fun vacation

I love both but for different reasons.... you'll have fun at both, you'll find all-inclusive at both, but when you mention beaches - I'd say you're better off in Cancun. Puerto Vallarta is beautiful, very laid back, very cool - but it's not the place to go for those turquoise waters. I love Cancun for the beaches, the ruins, fun excursions and people watching. But PV feels more like Mexico to me, more authentic, rocky with beautiful mountains all around.

I'm heading there next week and I had a tough time deciding as well - ulitimately I went with price since we got a good deal on PV and I've only been there once as compared to Cancun which i've seen many times.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,924 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Vallerta Vs Cancun for a fun vacation

If you just want to party at a resort, either place you can find what you want. The ocean and beaches are nicer in Cancun (since it is the Caribbean). If you want also to have more of a "real" Mexican town for nightlife, shopping, restaurants, etc. then you want PV.

suze

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,941 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Vallerta Vs Cancun for a fun vacation

Aussie22,

Welcome to TA!

Since you said you are a young couple, I will go out on a limb here and presume you also like to go clubbing? If that is the case, hands down you want to go to Cancun. Cancun is absolutely more of a younger destination (think 20's and 30's) vs. PV being more for (young at heart) 40's & 50's or gay 30's. Now that doesn't mean that you cannot go clubbing in PV; but of the two locales Cancun is certainly more of a party destination.

You can experience the real Mexico in either locale but you will have to go into town in Cancun for this experience vs. being right smack dab in the middle of authentic Mexico in the Romantic Zone areas of Puerto Vallarta. If you opt for Cancun, the Party Zone central area is where the top of the '7' and the diagonal of the '7' meet (i.e. Cancun is actually a barrier island shaped like the number '7').

Good luck and enjoy Mexico wherever you decide.

!Se divirtieren!

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Vallerta Vs Cancun for a fun vacation

based on your AI criteria with good beach and being younger i would absolutely recommend cancun or playa del carmen with emphasis on playa del carmen. daughter and 5 friends (26-28) just returned from playa del carmen based on my recommendation for their 10 yr anniversary trip and said it was their best trip yet! so much to do, beautiful beaches and spectacular blue-hued caribbean water. many choices for resorts of all levels! love both coasts for different reasons but think cancun/playa del carmen fits your criteria.

cancun is more of a cheaper version of miami where playa del carmen (about 45 minutes south) still has some smaller village feel along with clubs, restaurants, etc.

Edited: 25 July 2012, 01:38
Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Vallerta Vs Cancun for a fun vacation

It also depends on when you plan on traveling... summer months on the caribbean and mexico including cancun and playa del carmen is hurricane season into the fall you also have the possiblility of post hurricane damage...

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,194 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Vallerta Vs Cancun for a fun vacation

Hurricanes are still quite rare on either coast in any given year....we have travelled in August five years in a row, to PDC and to Zihua and to Sayulita, and have not run into anything more than a couple of nice downpours.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Vallerta Vs Cancun for a fun vacation

I would say it comes down to whether or not you want the aqua caribbean water for snorkeling, scuba, etc. Want to see ruins, or just simply want to party? If that's the case you can do that in either area, but Cancun may be a younger crowd with a more American feel to it. If that water is important to you, then you should go to the east coast.

I love both areas, but prefer PV to Cancun. I also prefer the mayan riviera to cancun, but may not be as much as a party area unless you stay in playa del carmen.

I have seen two hurricanes in Sep. in the mayan, but they were both on one trip and have not seen any others, but the hurricane season is May - Nov. and more likely in the caribbean.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Vallerta Vs Cancun for a fun vacation

The Caribbean coast had four tropical storms/ hurricanes in 2011

The west coast had one which never made it to PV.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto Vallerta Vs Cancun for a fun vacation

We have gone to PV the week of Thanksgiving for 20+ years and always had good weather (only once a few days of rain) the one year we changed it up and went to Playa we had 8 out of 10 days of constant downpour and the beaches had previously been eroded, just my experience.

The weather today is hard to rely on... Aruba is probably your safest bet for traveling during the late summer/fall located just under the hurricane zone, but no guarantees!