We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I bring pop from the US to Mexico?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lindstrom, Minnesota
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How do I bring pop from the US to Mexico?

We travel to Mexico every year an we just can't get seem to like the Mexican Diet Coke. We will be there for 3 weeks this year and we have to have the good stuff. Has anyone figured out how to bring the good US pop on a plane and not have it explode? Any sugestions will be greatly appreciated.

1. Re: How do I bring pop from the US to Mexico?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2012, 00:42
Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I bring pop from the US to Mexico?

If you have a Sam's Club card, they have a few varieties of Diet Soda right now for 105 Pesos a 12 pack. Diet Cherry Coke, Caf. Free Diet Coke and maybe regular Diet Coke. I personally like the Diet Coke here better than in the US.

I forgot to add that these are IMPORTED from the U.S.

Edited: 27 July 2012, 05:38
Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,803 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I bring pop from the US to Mexico?

I must not have a discriminating palate, because I've never noticed any difference between Diet Coke in the U.S. and Coke Light in Mexico. Maybe you should just switch to beer and forget all about Coke.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,073 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I bring pop from the US to Mexico?

One of my favorite things about traveling is trying the local food and drinks. I am a native California woman who loves dry white wine. I've found some really good ones in Puerto Vallarta. They are not Napa chardonnays, but they are quite tasty. It's refreshing to have a change. The only time I bring food or drink from the US is when expat friends request it. Not telling who craves Taco Bell hot sauce and Miracle Whip....

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,269 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I bring pop from the US to Mexico?

For the OP, I don't know the physics of it, but just know that to carry such a thing, it would have to be in your checked luggage, which will go into an unpressurized cargo hold, where anything could happen...given the carbonation and all. I suppose if you didn't mind all your clothing to be soaked with Diet coke when you arrive, you could do that.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I bring pop from the US to Mexico?

We have friends who take multiple 2 liter bottles of Manzanita Sol home to Canada with them on West Jet. They have never had a problem.

I do taste the difference between Coca Light here and Diet Coke in the US. Maybe try the Coke Zero in Mexico. Or follow bzy1's suggestion and go to Sams Club.

If you are that dedicated to Diet Coke, a 3 week supply is going to be quite a bit. Remember, each 2 liter bottle will weigh about 4 pounds, that will get you to the luggage limit pretty quick.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,915 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I bring pop from the US to Mexico?

I also do not like the Coke light in Mexico ( seems to sweet) but to me the Coke Zero is just like diet Coke at home.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,041 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I bring pop from the US to Mexico?

Cargo holds are pressurized BTW. Its just the bottom half of the entire fuselage of the Aircraft.

Edited: 27 July 2012, 06:59
ladysmith, bc...
Destination Expert
for Akumal
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do I bring pop from the US to Mexico?

yes i agree that the coke zero is more like diet coke here in canada. i would try that before bringing it from the states........i have seen what travelling can do to my sunscreen lol

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,577 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do I bring pop from the US to Mexico?

I have brought soda to Mexico for years and never had it blow up. I pack it in a soft sided cooler in my checked luggage. I too do not like the coke light in Mexico, it seems too sweet to me too. I found I like the diet Pepsi in Mexico better.