We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for those who rent condos.

Wisco
Level Contributor
97 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Question for those who rent condos.

We have been renting in Old Town and love it so much we are considering buying a place. I'm wondering from those of you who do rent condos on a regular basis - do you travel with friends/family and rent a two bedroom condo or does anyone rent a one bedroom? I'd like to get a general feel if we'd be making a mistake by buying a one bedroom and have trouble renting it out. Also - what area to you prefer? Thanks for sharing your preferences! Can't wait to find the right spot and start spending more time in PV...

Sidney, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for those who rent condos.

My wife and I rent a one bedroom condo long stay (5-6 months). We have family come down during the time we are there, but they choose to stay at an all inclusive close by, and we get together for social times. Our favorite area is the Hotel Zone.

With a multi bedroom, company can become like fish, after 3 days it doesn't smell so good.

We have chosen not buy. We can't afford to walk away from the investment, and I believe one needs to be prepared to do that if necessary. Rentals are abundant and affordable.

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for those who rent condos.

We've rented a one BR/1.5 bath twice in Old Town & love love love it! Unfortunately, the owners sold their condo to someone who lives full-time in PV - another time, we stayed in 2BR/2.5 bath (friends who were going away & we watched over their cats) - two other times we rented 2BR/2 bath in the Conchas Chinas, once with another couple, once without -

Not sure if any of this info helps you -

When i travel without my husband, i stay at Playa Los Arcos - and when I get tired of the vendors on the beach, i go up to the rooftop pool at Casa Dona Susana -

Since we usually only get a week to 10 days at a time, and we don't rent a car in PV, i've come to the decision that i prefer staying in the Conchas Chinas & going to the beaches in that area, as they are much more quiet than Los Muertos and i'm coming to PV for R & R -

Mentioned in this post
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa
Playa Los Arcos Hotel...
3,060 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Hotel Casa Dona Susana
Hotel Casa Dona Susana
888 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,399 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for those who rent condos.

My husband and I often rent a two bedroom. Sometimes, friends stay with us, sometimes not. Two bedroom condos don't cost much more and they tend to have a lot more space. I love to entertain, so that comes in handy.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,918 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for those who rent condos.

We usually rent two bedrooms and it is usually just the two of us.....mainly just because one bedrooms are more rare, though, and like spotcat said the price is not much more. If were to buy a vacation condo (which we won't be, ever) it would be a 2 BR unit.

TX
Level Contributor
5,847 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for those who rent condos.

Like Spotcat and Rissask and their partners, we rent 2 bedroom condos too. My hubby snores like a freight train some nights, and I need to have space to escape to when that happens in order to get a good night's rest. If we were to ever buy (and tha's not likely any time in the near future), I wouldn't consider anything less than a 2-bedroom/2-bath unit.

Happy house hunting!

Wisco
Level Contributor
97 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question for those who rent condos.

Thanks to all of you, good information. I'm not much of a fan of sharing a condo with friends/family - we rent a one bedroom and our friends rent another one bedroom in the same building. It seems to me most rent two bedrooms, maybe those people like their friends and family more that I do... ; )

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,861 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question for those who rent condos.

We rent in town on the south side and have rented 1 and 2 bedrooms. Sometimes if traveling with others it's a better deal to get a nice 2 bedroom than a couple 1 bedrooms.

We have rented from a few different owners, always right on Los Muertos or barely off of the beach, and the one thing we have been told by owners is that they have absolutely no problem renting if the unit is oceanfront in town, and 1 or 2 bedrooms rent equally well in that scenario. Often these are booked a year or more in advance.....even low season has excellent rental capability. So that is the best scenario if you can swing it, but those are way pricey to purchase.

If you buy off of the beach, I think you'll get more renters if there are no hills or stairs to climb to reach the condo building.

I like renting and not having any responsibilites when I'm in PV. I think you have to ask yourself how much time you want to put aside for yourselves and what time of year because that can effect potential rental income. Also it might be better to buy somewhere in which it is so affordable for you that you are not under any pressure to rent it out, especially if you want to use it for several weeks or months during high season.

Just saw your post sunnyday and we only travel with people we like LOL.

Edited: 14 August 2012, 17:03
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,146 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question for those who rent condos.

Why not talk with some of the local agents who manage condo rentals in PV? I think they would understand the market better (what rents most easily, how much you can ask highseason, low season, etc. etc.) than just the few of us here who sometimes rent condos.

I'm usually solo so a 1-bedroom is what I get. but I think if you're going to atttempt to keep it rented out most of the time a 2-bedroom would be the more desireable option and better financial investment.

suze

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
505 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question for those who rent condos.

I always rent studios since I travel alone and don't need much space. The prices have always been nice too.

Wisco
Level Contributor
97 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question for those who rent condos.

Suze, I have talked to local agents and respect the information I've been provided. Although a couple have given me the feeling of pushing what they are listing rather than our best interests. We are working with a great agent to find us a place now but I really appreciate these forums for first-hand accounts of people's opinions.