We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreams Villamagna vs. Now Amber

Vancouver
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Dreams Villamagna vs. Now Amber

Hi All

We are looking at going to either Now Amber or Dreams Villamagna this fall. We’ve got two young kids, 3 and 6 years. Some considerations for us:

We spend a fair amount of time in our rooms – kids always need a little downtime/nap time. We like the spacious newer rooms at these resorts. This is why we skipped Dreams PV (old tower is small/old and preferred tower too expensive). Really like the Jacuzzi tub on balcony at Villamagna.

Dining with our kids needs to be quick and convenient. Would love to hear comparisons on quality/variety of buffet and convenience and speed at the a la carte restaurants?

Comparison of Kids Clubs? Facilities and staff? Are there a lot of kids this age to make the club more fun for them?

Variety and convenience of the activities? It seemed like Now had water slides, trampolines and more things to do?

Resort and pool area? Places to relax? Villamagna resort looks a bit severe with minimal trees and shade? I have heard comments on the restrictions in the pool areas (drinks and activities)

Beach – How crowded? Availability of chairs/shade? Want some moderate waves for boogie boarding but no dangerous for little kids. Heard Villamagna beach is great.

Thanks for comments!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,800 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dreams Villamagna vs. Now Amber

VillaMagna is not in Puerto Vallarta but in Nuevo Vallarta, so you might find a lot more information and details about offerings and such in that forum.

I would say the big difference right on the face of it is one of these resorts is in PV, and one is not...so how much time do you want to spend in town vs. simply staying put and not venturing out should be your first decision. If the intent is to spend a fair bit of time in PV proper, staying in Nuevo means more planning, more travel time, and more money to get back/forth.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dreams Villamagna vs. Now Amber

Thanks for reply.

Location was not really a big factor for us - we'll likely spend most of our time at the resort. We have been to PV before and, at their current age, our kids dont have as much fun romping around town as they do just hanging out at the beach and pool.

I was more interested in the considerations I noted. Do you have any thoughts on those?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,800 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dreams Villamagna vs. Now Amber

Sorry, no. Not a big resort person, I prefer condos and small boutique hotels/B&Bs. I'm sure others will come along to comment on the Now Amber (or check the recent TA reviews), but you'll likely find a ton of information on the VM in the Nuevo forum, definitely more than you'll find here.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,262 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dreams Villamagna vs. Now Amber

If youll be spending most of your time at the resort Dreams VM may be a better choice with more options for biggger spacious rooms and accommodations, nicer beach area and more options for dining... Now Amber just opening is still working out some kinks, not the best beach, and some ala cartes being adults only; DVM kids club may also be better established, bigger resort and more kids (the also offer sitter service).

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dreams Villamagna vs. Now Amber

I would recommend Dreams VM. I made comments to your questions below

"Really like the Jacuzzi tub on balcony at Villamagna." LOVE the jacuzzi tub on the balcony at Dreams.

"Dining with our kids needs to be quick and convenient. Would love to hear comparisons on quality/variety of buffet and convenience and speed at the a la carte restaurants?" I never waited to be seated at either place (stayed at Secrets, but was able to dine at Now as well as being given a tour of rooms, kids club area, etc.). I think the room service quality is better at Dreams VM. Both offer a wide assortment of food at the buffets for breakfast. Alll restaurants have speedy and efficient service, but Dreams VM really exceeds at this. You can also dine at Portofino at Dreams VM as they will seat you at a table outside as it is an adults only restaurant. I never got food posioning at Dreams VM, but did at the Japanese restaurant over at Now. As Now / Secrets is new(er) they are still ironing out kinks. I wouldn't go back there for a few more years.

"Comparison of Kids Clubs? Facilities and staff? Are there a lot of kids this age to make the club more fun for them?" Kids club for the children your age would have more to do at Now. There is also a kids club at Dreams VM, but it appears the area at Now is larger with more options for the kids

"Variety and convenience of the activities? It seemed like Now had water slides, trampolines and more things to do?" There are activity teams at both resorts. I like the pools better at Dreams as they are much larger then the ones at Now. There are shady areas at Dreams and I never had a problem finding one. Now does have a water slide at the kids pool, but it isn't anything to get excited about IMO.

"Resort and pool area? Places to relax? Villamagna resort looks a bit severe with minimal trees and shade? I have heard comments on the restrictions in the pool areas (drinks and activities)" Now's lobby is superior to the lobby at Dreams VM, however seating is limited. Both resorts have hammocks you can lounge / nap in. My thought is that Now / Secrets are severe with very minimal trees and shade, however what I disliked the most were the amount of sun lungers they cram next to eachother. You look out and literally just see a sea of sun loungers. At Dreams you don't feel as though you are on top of other guests and it's way more relaxing. At Dreams VM, they don't like having drinks in the pools. Sometimes this is enforced and at other times it's not. The staff are far superior at Dreams VM, you will want for nothing. At Now, they are still learning and at times they send you on a wild goose chase to get a resolution

"Beach – How crowded? Availability of chairs/shade? Want some moderate waves for boogie boarding but no dangerous for little kids. Heard Villamagna beach is great." Beach at Now is horrible. You would need water shoes as there are tons of rocks and the swimming space is limited as it's roped off. Due to the rocks you can't walk for very long. The beach vendors at Now are extremely annoying and forceful. There is a vacant lot next to Secrets/Now and some locals go there to blare their music, drink, there are dog and chicken fights as well. There are way more locals at the Now beach area and note that a lot of them go swimming in their underwear. The beach at Dreams VM is never ending, you can literally walk for miles in either direction. The sand is soft and has a gold glitter to it. I always go boogie boarding at Dreams VM and never had a problem with undertow...it was definitely safe...just pay attention to the color of the raised flags.

Good luck with your decision!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dreams Villamagna vs. Now Amber

If location isn't the most important thing, then I would say Dreams Villa Magna. We stayed just down from there last year and the beach goes on forever and is wonderful. My kids were 8 and 6 at the time and loved boogie boarding.

I have not stayed at this Dreams, but have stayed at two others and my kids loooove their kids clubs over any other resorts. They really enjoy all their time there. The jacuzzis on the balcony would be really nice for after you put the kids to bed and you just can sit out there.

Now Amber would be nicer as far as new and shiny, but their beach isn't as nice and it's hard to tell yet about their kids clubs, amenities, etc. since they are still so new.

They apparently have a dine around plan since they are owned by AMR Resorts and you could take the bus into town one day and try the Now Amber out for a morning or afternoon, just to check it out.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,779 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dreams Villamagna vs. Now Amber

Been to Dreams VM on the last 3 Mays. Going back again in October and taking our 2 sons and their wives.

Always found lots to eat at the buffet and they even have a small table on the side with kids items. (mac & cheese, cereal, cupcakes, small pancakes, etc).

Also at Seaside at lunch there is a grill with burgers and dogs.

The kids club looks nice. They have a boa, hawk, parrots and sea lion that they bring in on different days for the kids.

There are 3 large pools (with one being a zero depth where you just walk right in). Beach is very nice. Lots of chairs and shade and not all crammed together.

The rooms are big for a resort and as you mentioned, all have jacuzzis on the deck.

If you plan on spending most of the time at the resort, I would pick Dreams VM

winnipeg
Level Contributor
296 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dreams Villamagna vs. Now Amber

I returned from Now two weeks ago and thought it was great. you wouldn't know that it was only open a few months by the level of service or quality of the food. I've stayed at Dreams PV and the one in Puerto Aventuras and the quality of the kids club at Now would be similar. Preferred club rooms also have the jacuzzi tub on the balcony. The beach at Dreams VM would be much better but Now's isn't as bad as the other poster claimed IMO.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dreams Villamagna vs. Now Amber

Thanks to everyone for sharing their comments and insights! Amazing how much great input you can get in just a few hours.

We'll probably be going with Dreams Villamagna (that was the way my wife was leaning anyway).

Thanks again!

Portland, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Dreams Villamagna vs. Now Amber

I would love to hear how your trip to VM was in August. We are heading there in a few weeks with our 4yr old son and I'm curiuos what your children enjoyed the most?

Thank you,

Amber

Portland, OR