We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental

Palo Alto...
4 posts
Save Topic
Car rental

We'll be staying about 20 minutes north of Puerto Vallarta and would like to rent a car for the week while we're there (February). Does anyone have any good recommendations for reliable rental agencies in the area?

Hinton, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental

I rented a car from Gecko and it was easy and seamless. They met us at the airport with the vehicle and we were done in less than 10 minutes! I highly recommend them!

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental

20 minutes of PV is really not worth renting a car unless you are in a place where public transit- buses/taxis are not easily available. Car rentals are not cheap and you need to have full insurance (not all covered by credit card) and for the most part a car is really not necessary. If you do not know your way around (one ways, how to turn on laterals, etc.) it may be more of a headache than a convenience. Most buses go to places worthy of a day trip, like Punta de Mita, Sayulita, Boca, Mismaloya, even El Tuito- and very inexpensive and a cultural experience.

With that said, if you are intent on renting a car- Gecko is your best bet all around.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,745 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental

It's not worth it.Do some research on this forum lots of good thoughts.

Palo Alto...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental

Thanks for your advice. We're planning to do some sightseeing out of the area, so we'll need a car. Has anyone heard about Amigo Car Rental? I've heard that they have slightly better rates.....but are they reliable????

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental

Where are you planning on going sightseeing? A car really may not be necessary. I think most people who have rented cars will tell you that Gecko is one of the best and when you factor in the TRUE rates- you will see that they are very competitive and have excellent service. Most rates online will not show the liability insurance which is necessary and can only be purchased in Mexico.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental

Gecko quotes you true rates with full insurance coverage and no markup once you arrive at the counter. They are standup guys and will provide a shuttle from anywhere in Vallarta to their office in Bucerias. (north of the airport). They'll also give you a ride to the airport when you finish your trip and have to drop your car off.

I've found most of the rental offices near the airport to be fairly shady in terms of jacking up the rates and insurance costs once you arrive their office, regardless of the price you get quoted online.

I agree that having a car in the city of Puerto Vallarta is a total pain and largely unnecessary. That said, having the freedom to go wherever you want, whenever you want makes for super fun vacation when you're outside the city. I always rent a car when I'm spending time in Punta Mita/Sayulita/Chacala etc...

Don't hesitate to go with Geko

Twin Bridges...
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental

Our friends have used Prestige car rental and have been very pleased with the service and rates.

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental

I have rented from Ace many, many times and had no problems. They have one of the most, if not the most competitive rates. http://www.acerentacar.com/ If you want to explore the surrounding areas then I would definitely recommend renting a car. Just be sure to learn the rules of the road there as it can be a bit confusing.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental

Renting a car provides a lot more freedom and spontaneity than public transportation, but there are also some downsides. We always rent a vehicle when we're in NV, but that's a personal choice that many on these forums would not agree with. I probably wouldn't rent a vehicle if I was staying in PV, but once you get out of town the driving is relatively straightforward. If you are mildly adventurous and independent, you would probably be glad that you had wheels.

We have used Gecko a lot, and I would heartily recommend them. They're not the least expensive option around, but we have been very pleased with their service and attitude.

I've also heard good things about Ace, but have not personally used them.

10. Re: Car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2013, 10:15