We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Garza Blanca Preserve Resort & Spa AI

Hi All,

I'm so torn over the AI at the Garza- we will definitely be staying at the hotel, but there are so many opposite reviews on the areas the would impact the ROI of the AI- food/service terrible vs. food/service great.

My husband and I are in our mid-30's and I tend to avoid AI's based on gross buffets, bad drinks, ect, but used to go to a place in Puerto Morelos (Ceiba Del Mar now Desire Pearl- why!). We loved the AI there and it was about the same size as the Garza- had sit down non-reservations meals, ect, so it sounds similar but it never got the mixed reviews that people seem to have about the AI at the Garza. If anyone can weigh in on the following we would very much appreciate it:

Restaurants- is the food too pretentious at the two main restaurants for non-foodies? We love good food but if everything is in some weird reduction with a nuts and leaves we may be better elsewhere. Are the portions small? Is the pool bar food really poorly cooked (raw/cold) as others have described?

Service- I can appreciate a more relaxed way of life and have much love for the Mexican culture, so I don't expect snap snap service, but the repeated complaints of never restocking the mini-bar on the AI plan (which would truly annoy me), waiting for hours to eat, having to ask for things 2 or three times are a little alarming. Slow is one thing but non-functioning is another. If service is really as bad as some say and it takes asking 3x before you actually get your drink, then I can see where the AI isn't a good deal.

Here are a few other questions:

Does anyone know if the AI includes wine?

What is with the random management responses to the hotel reviews that never address the actual post?

Is there a bar to hang out at after dinner/s?

I haven't been to PV in years. I know it's a beautiful vibrant town with amazing food, so if there are people out there that think the AI is a rip off because they simply can't get served or are always starving because the food is "cutting edge" or just simply takes too long, please let us know.

Thanks so much in advance for your opinions!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Garza Blanca Preserve Resort & Spa AI

I did the AI plan in July and just changed my reservation in November from the EP to the AI. The food is not pretentious. Very good portions. No odd sauces or anything (at least not to me). My boyfriend and I are in our early 30s. We didn't have any problems with the food or service when we were there. The food at the pool was outstanding! I loved their shrimp ceviche, shrimp quesadillas (I literally ordered this every day for lunch), some type of seafood soup and I forget what else we would order. Now there were times the food would take about an hour after we ordered, but that didn't bother me. The drink service was speedy. No clue about management's odd responses. No bar to hang out after dinner except for in the restaurant. I cannot wait to have dinner at BocaDos again. The view is amazing, the service great and the food...oh the food! Let's just say there was a lot, it was delicious and I was kind of in a food coma after eating. Make a reservation there. I always make reservations, I hate to wait. Just don't go when you are starving and expect to be seated and have your food magically appear. :)

I tipped the guy who restocked the mini fridge and we always had tons of beer and water (he would even leave extra bottles of water out for us too).

Edited: 30 September 2012, 20:14
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Garza Blanca Preserve Resort & Spa AI

Thanks for the insight- it did make me feel better about next time doing the AI at GB, but we ultimately decided to switch it up and do the urban thing and stay at the Villa Premiere. My husband has never been to PV so I think it will be a good walking trip. We might have to do the day pass at the Garza to check out what looks like an amazing pool and try one of the restaurants. Thanks again!

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Garza Blanca Preserve Resort & Spa AI

I would DEF do a day pass at GB!!! We did one in Sept last year & then went for a week in May - the beach/water/sand there is beautiful - the food was wonderful, as was the service - and the pools is one of the prettiest i've seen -

We did not do AI but we did go for a presentation & got 15% off all food/drink that we ordered plus got discounted massages if i recall correctly -

We ate some meals off property but ate at all three restaurants on the property more than once - plus had room service for one breakfast & one dinner - the breakfast was great but i ordered the wrong thing for dinner which was the paella - it was so salty i couldn't eat it - if i had been AT the restaurant i would have returned it but we had so many leftovers in the fridge that night, i didn't bother - while i love staying in town & walking around, GB provided us with a much-needed restful vacation & we went into town a few times so kinda the best of both worlds -

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Garza Blanca Preserve Resort & Spa AI

Oops = meant to say "pool" not "pools" - it is pretty much one pool but there is a separation for one part to be adult=only/infinity and the other side, which is where kids can go -

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Garza Blanca Preserve Resort & Spa AI

lopo I didn't think the 2 pools were connected. Can you swim from one to the other? Can't wait till I'm back at GB!!!

Bettendorf, Iowa
Level Contributor
238 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Garza Blanca Preserve Resort & Spa AI

How much is the day pass and where do you find it? Went to their website but can't locate the day package.

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Garza Blanca Preserve Resort & Spa AI

We paid $50 for the day pass per person & some of that went toward food/drink -

To Aimee - you are right - they are actually two pools & you can't swim from one to the other but they look as though they are connected -

8. Re: Garza Blanca Preserve Resort & Spa AI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 07:18