We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Recommendations Needed

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
981 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Recommendations Needed

This will be our first time to PVR and we’re looking for some hotel recommendations. We’ve been to the Cancun area many times and stayed at some very nice resorts including the Excellence playa, and Valentine Imperial Maya. We’re looking for a good all-around hotel/resort with good food, server and drinks. We are pool people but also want a nice beach. Looking to spend a around $1800 p/p for 7 night. Any suggestion are welcome...

Laxin

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,043 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Recommendations Needed

Dreams upgraded rooms would be comparable to hotels youve previously stayed at in Cancun, not as modern, but one of the best beaches in the area, nice pool areas, good food and plenty of dining options available. The new Now Amber and Secrets (adultsonlyl) are also under the Dreams umbrellas of resorts, nicer accommodations but not the best beach; Sunset Plaza beach also new has luxury accommodations, small but swimmable beach, endless pool with swimup bar, jacuzzin pools and adults only pool, 2 ala carte restaurants & deli (no buffet) and top shelf liquor. Dreams, Now Amber & Secrets are all-inclusive; Sunset Plaza Beach has an all-inclusive option and their 1 bedroom master suite with kitchen, living/dining area, bedroom w/jacuzzi and 2nd bath is priced less than standard accommodations at the other hotels. Good luck!

http://www.sunsetplaza.com.mx/

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,678 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Recommendations Needed

When are you planning to go? Time of year will determine price.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
981 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Recommendations Needed

We're thinking late January early Febuary!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
981 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Recommendations Needed

Thanks for the reply!

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,932 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Recommendations Needed

For what you describe you'll need to look to the Hotel Zone, the Marina, or even out in Nuevo Vallarta (the newer developed resort strip north from the city). Playa Los Muertos is the best beach in "zona romantica" (south-side) but it doesn't have high end resorts. Just some nice hotels and condos.

I think that's the most important decision and somewhat unique to PV. Whether you care about being in or close to downtown for shopping, activities, restaurants, bars, nightlife. Or if you just want a nice resort to hang around.

suze

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
981 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Recommendations Needed

thanks for the reply! I will take a look at those areas you mentioned. We typically just relax around the resort all day and many venture out one or two days for some shopping/ bar hoping. Do you have any specific hotel/resorts you like?

Laxin

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,932 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Recommendations Needed

Then Nuevo Vallarta might work for you (it's a distance north but if you're only coming in to town a couple times and care more about the resort ammenities). Sorry I stay at budget hotels or apartments. I only know about resorts from reading here but I'm sure others will continue to chime in with their thoughts :) suze

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Recommendations Needed

To the OP - i'm not clear - are you looking for an AI resort? And when you say $1800 pp is that just for the accommodations or for food plan as well??

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,951 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Recommendations Needed

Original post says they're looking for an AI, so assume the cost mentioned is to include everything.

As noted, time of year can be a factor to cost - if you've narrowed it to January or February, consider early towards mid January. February is a more popular month for travelers from NOTB, so it's usually busier.

The first two weeks of January are almost always a bit quieter and I always see good pricing on packages for that timeframe. Everyone has cleared out post holiday season, and you've not had the new influx of sun seekers from the snowy climes yet.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Recommendations Needed

If you are into nicer resorts with a great swimmable beach and only go into town once or twice, nuevo might works as Suze said. Riu Palace, Dreams Villamagna, Grand Velas, many options. It's very easy to take the bus into town (about 45mins.) and very cheap, cabs are easy as well and I believe about 250 pesos. The first week in January should still be very busy as most schools don't go back until Jan. 7th, but after that will slow down a bit, but still high season. Lots available though now. These resorts are full service and very nice.

There is the new Secrets in town though, which should be very nice, but the beach there isn't the best.

Good luck:)

Edited: 03 October 2012, 18:11