We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any non-touristy beach towns north or south of PV?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,517 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Any non-touristy beach towns north or south of PV?

The wife and I are looking for a beach town somewhere a bit off the tourist track with more local flavor for our next visit.. We can fly into PV and then either take a bus or rent a car and drive somewhere north or south.

I know this is a broad question but I'm really just looking for pointers so I can do some research and planning.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any non-touristy beach towns north or south of PV?

Yelapa, except from noon till about 2pm, when the Bay Cruise boats come in, is pretty free of tourists, due to the lack of a road. Look at http://yelapa.info

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,517 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any non-touristy beach towns north or south of PV?

Thanks - I've been to Yelapa and it's a bit too "gringofied" for me - really looking for somewhere where I might have to actually speak a bit of Spanish to get by

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,355 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any non-touristy beach towns north or south of PV?

That's a tricky one to answer, because beach towns attract tourists. I've got Barra de Navidad (south of PV) on my radar, but can't vouch for it personally.

Moon has a guidebook to Pacific Mexico that might be of help. I find the Moon books good for detail on out-of-the-way places.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,517 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any non-touristy beach towns north or south of PV?

Barra de Navidad and Melaque are on my radar as well. I'll look into the Moon Guide, not sure why I didn't think of that earlier. What about Lonely Planet?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,355 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any non-touristy beach towns north or south of PV?

I think Lonely Planet only has a book for the whole darn country. Weighs a ton.

And for indescribable reasons, I just like the Moon books better. Maybe it's because they zoom in on parts of the country and offer more detail. (Looking over at my bookshelf, I see four Moon books that add up to maybe half the country.)

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,508 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any non-touristy beach towns north or south of PV?

Higuera Blanca. Between Punta Mita and Sayulita.

No English.

You do have to walk to the beach though

On the beach, there is a little village near Punta Mita called Emiliano Zapata, on the beach. English, but not really much if you don´t want to use it.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any non-touristy beach towns north or south of PV?

We really love Higüera Blanca too. Another great option: San Pancho. It's about 7 minutes (driving) north of Sayulita and has an incredible beach.

If you want something truly non-touristy, go inland from Bucerias towards Valle, San Vincente, El Porvenir, etc. These are Mexican "pueblos" that virtually know one knows about.

Investours' Day of the Dead Artisan Tour will go visit those communities to learn about how the locals are celebrating the holiday. Here's a map of our truly off-the-beaten-path tour route: http://goo.gl/maps/ge5Tx

If you have a car, I encourage you to drive this loop. It will take you about 45 minutes and you'll be surprised at how many towns are out there!

If you don't have a car or simply would like to join our Artisan Tour, let me (Elly, mexico@investours.org) know. We still have room left on our October 26th and October 29th tours. Learn more at www.investours.org.

Enjoy!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any non-touristy beach towns north or south of PV?

The Google Map turned out a bit funny (sometimes the application has bugs that are impossible to work out...) but you get the gist!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,187 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any non-touristy beach towns north or south of PV?

I answered on your other thread too, Sean.

We spent a week in Barra de Navidad and I just LOVED it there. It has a really funkyMexico- surfer vibe, similar to Sayulita but much less gringo/California influence.

I would not call it 'non-touristy' but it is smaller and has plenty of great restaurants, a nice beach, and you can take a water taxi over to Isla Navidad to golf or have lunch at the gorgeous Grand Bay Isla Navidad hotel- the golf course restaurant is great! And then check out the little town of Colimilla while you are there. Or taxi to La Manzanilla for a day, nice town!

http://www.costalegre.ca/Colimilla.htm

http://www.costalegre.ca/Barra_de_Navidad.htm

Best avenue to get there by far is to fly into Manzanillo and taxi to Barra. :)

PM me if you are interested, I have a trip report with lots of pics of the town and area, I can send you a link.

Edited: 18 October 2012, 16:13
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,355 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any non-touristy beach towns north or south of PV?

A thought. Some of the smaller places might be touristy - with Mexican tourists; they love a beach getaway as much as we northerners do. So you might find a town with good hotels and restaurants, but little English spoken.