We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oysters

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
oysters

I just read an artical in a travel magazine...about oysters and there dangers..

so anyone know how safe they are in PV..

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: oysters

I've eaten them for years here with nary a problem.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
4,980 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: oysters

I eat oysters as often as possible, most recently last night. Yes, I eat the oysters being sold on Los Muertos Beach. No problems so far!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: oysters

I am always up for oysters in PV. Love em there..Keeps me going strong. I like to see them opened in front of me so I know what I am getting.

"Funman"

Evanston Illinois
Level Contributor
529 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: oysters

Love them and have never gotten sick.

North Providence...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: oysters

We've eaten fresh oysters in PV and Bucerias for many years without any problems whatsoever.

Love 'em

Michael

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,778 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: oysters

You can find dangers in any food on earth if you look long enough and hard enough. Does it mean you're going to stop eating everything? (-;

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: oysters

As they say shuk me shuk me eat me raw

Near Lake Tahoe
Level Contributor
536 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: oysters

Had a couple yesterday right off of the boat. Amazingly fresh!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: oysters

I stopped at a eating place in PV saeveral years ago. I am not going to name the place because it has a new owner.

I ordered a dozen oysters on the half shell. When they were set on my table I could hardly stand the smell. They were spoiled. I drank my beer, paid the bill and left. The following year I stopped in the same place to have a beer and started talking to a man who told me he was the new owner. I told him about the spoiled oysters I receved the prvious year. He told me that the previous owner would buy the oysters by the bag full (not in the shell) and keep the half shells to reuse them.

So now when I order oysters in a resturaunt, I ask to see a live oyster first.

I don't know how often this is done, but it happened to me.

I am not saying that the oysters in PV are bad, because they are not. I love them. Just make sure you know what you are getting.

"Funman"

Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: oysters

The "technique" of serving previously shucked oysters on reused shells is very common in restaurants - and we often do it at home because of the convenience. It should not be a problem if done right. You can buy oysters in the jar that are very fresh and place them on shells that are quite clean. However, something is no doubt lost in terms of authenticity.

Oysters that have just been shucked will still be attached to the shell with the connective tissue, so it is easy to tell if they are shucked as you order them.

BTW, we have been ordering oysters on the beach in Mexico for years with no ill effects.