We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Los Arcos vs Emperador

PORTLAND, OR
Level Contributor
212 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Los Arcos vs Emperador

First trip to PV. Both of these properties are in the location I want & meet the budget. Both seem to have about the same number of positive & negative reviews. About the only thing I've come up with is that Playa has free parking which will be helpful since we will be renting a car for part of the time, but it's also a few dollars more. Anyone want to weigh in on any pros & cons of either that would help with the decision? Thanks.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,854 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Los Arcos vs Emperador

Hotel Playa Los Arcos is a much nicer hotel. well worth "a few dollars" more. I've only stayed at Emperador once (maybe 5 years ago now) and was not impressed at all... although I did love how absolutely ocean FRONT it was with a huge balcony, but that was really the only good thing.

It's just not kept up like other places (even cheap ones) I have stayed. I was most often at Posada de Roger during that period of time to give you an idea of my standards. So it's not like I'm on a high-horse about this. suze

Paris, France
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Los Arcos vs Emperador

The only thing I liked about Emperador was our kitchen was on the balcony. The hotel was not very well cared for.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
3,246 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Los Arcos vs Emperador

You did not say when you plan to visit. I agree with the recommendation of PLA...but when it is super busy at peak times like Xmas it is rather like a gong show poolside and beachside. That said it is a much better property and in a great location.

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,959 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Los Arcos vs Emperador

we checked out the emperador and was not impressed. like suze --no high horse or anything---we have stayed in many basic hotels--but if you got a choice--go for pla--we loved it

United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,053 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Los Arcos vs Emperador

I have never stayed at Emperador but have stayed many times at Playa Los Arcos. Wouldn't stay anyplace else. Make your reservation with Marguerite on their 1-800 # and she will help you find a good room. We usually stay in the same room year after year, superior-ocean/front with balcony. Love it.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,854 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Los Arcos vs Emperador

If Playa Los Arcos is too busy an atmosphere for you (and I agree it can be with kids in the pool, shows in the evening, music blasting, etc.) I'd look at The Tropicana instead (if their new pool and remodel is finished by your trip).

Please note my experinece at Emperador was 5 years back so maybe things have changed.

My though at the time was if someone put some TLC into the Emperador it could be a truly great hotel because it IS a prime, absolutely killer location. I've always had the fantasy that Posada Roger ownership could buy the place, they'd whip it into shape in a mexican minute.

The things I noticed at the time were not necessarily deal breakers but things weren't kept up as nice as most other places - the black wrought iron railings needed painting, the planters were full of weeds, the patio kitchen 'equipment ' lacking, rusty, etc., bed linens frayed, & front desk staff had a fairly indifferent attitude.

Of course the room maids were really nice :) and i've never had waves crashing so close to where i was staying as my lovely 4th floor ocean front patio at Emperador. that spot specifically was great. suze

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa Los Arcos vs Emperador

I second Suze's recommendation of the Tropicana. The pool was finished last year, unless they are building another one. Not sure about any other remodeling though. When I was there in Feb there was not any remodeling going on.

I have actually found the Trop to be less than Emperador on some websites.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
3,246 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa Los Arcos vs Emperador

I was in Vallarta a few weeks back and can advise the Trop is bing renovated...at least the replacement of windows and patio doors in the main centre section. Those that know me are aware theTrop is my preferred hotel beachside -simply because we love the well spaced palapas out front on the beach, the pool that "was", and the staff. The new second pool configuration is imo not so great in terms of privacy pool side. We usually stay in the"new" now old tower and the rooms are good. Food not so good at the Trop, but really, with 50 places in 3 blocks who cares. For us the quietness of the Trop is better than the business of the Playa. Playa still has a better street location...but the beach at the Trop is much better.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
717 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa Los Arcos vs Emperador

I have only stayed at Emperador, so can't comment on PLA.

Be advised at Emperador that they also have a building that is across the street - and definitely NOT oceanview/oceanfront. A few years ago, we had confirmed reservations for oceanfront. They tried to put us across the street. We refused as our PRINTED confirmation from their reservations department stated oceanfront - I had paid extra. After a lengthy discussion regarding the situation (all we have available is across the street.....I have a written confirmation for oceanfront.........all we have available is across the street.......but I have a written confirmation for oceanfront........), they finally relented and gave us the oceanfront room we reserved and had confirmed. I was NOT backing down. We probably won't go back there because of that. So, be advised to make sure you get the oceanfront part in writing - and be sure to bring it with you.

The rooms there were fine, we really didn't use the kitchen except for the fridge for cold drinks. But I sure did love that balcony and watching the waves roll in when I was up at 3am (jet lag - I'd just returned from a trip to Asia and couldn't sleep).

Cheers,

Deanna

10. Re: Playa Los Arcos vs Emperador

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2013, 10:20