We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bucerias

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
547 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Bucerias

this is a beach town right?

could we take the bus from romantica zone to Bucerias?

things to do to spend the whole day??

can we take the pooch? etc.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
547 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bucerias

now I am thinking I mean Sayulita...I am confused as usual..

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,330 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bucerias

Yes to all the questions in both Bucerias and Sayulita.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,458 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bucerias

The main difference, other than being two totally different towns in the State of Nayarit, is that it will cost you 12 pesos each to get to Bucerias (from the bus stop at Walmart) and it will cost you 20 pesos to get to Sayulita (from the stop at Walmart).

For Bucerias, you can pick up either the green (Compostela) bus or the silver/white (ATM) bus. They cost the same.

For Sayulita, you need to take the green bus. There will be someone at the stop who helps people get on the right bus. The route will also be painted/printed in white, on the front window.

Bucerias is on the Bay. Sayulita is on the ocean.

Have fun. Not sure about the pooch but there was chicken on the bus to Sayulita in June so a pooch would likely be OK. Hope someone who knows for sure will chime in.

Calabasas, CA
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bucerias

You will net to take two buses, one from romantica zone and then get another in front of Walmart.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
547 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bucerias

If I can go only to one which would be best???

I am thinking Sayulita..

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,458 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bucerias

*Best* is in the eye of the beholder. If your interests include an active surfing beach, head to Sayulita. If you like a quieter beach, you might prefer Bucerias.

If you like to wander around town, they are both fun but you will notice in Sayulita that it's been "discovered" ---- you can tell by the kitchy paint jobs on the commercial buildings (loads of very bright colors).

There are plenty of good restaurants in both places. In my various visits (numerous to Bucerias and only two to Sayulita), it seems to me that the vendors at the beach-side restaurants in Sayulita are more (in volume and activity) so it was harder for us to have a nice conversation while eating.

In actuality, if you start early in the morning, you could do both in one day. You could head to Sayulita for early lunch (it takes about 90 minutes to get there on Compostela --- I timed it but can't remember if I started my clock at Walmart or where we were staying....which was Villa del Palmar). You could walk from the bus and wander through the main commercial area and the plaza and some side streets. Then you could get on the bus headed back south and stop in Bucerias. They were running every 20-30 minutes or so when we went in June.

If you got to Bucerias by 3:30-4pm, you could catch the flea market and the church and the plaza and wander down L. Cardenas, where there are some nice restaurants. Or, you could go into the middle of town (nearby) where other good restaurants abound. Or the beach restaurants, for dinner.

If you are energetic and enjoy walking and wandering, you definitely can do both in one day.

On a number of my trips to Bucerias, I've taken the bus back to PV from the main Centro stop, around 9pm at night and have never had a problem. Not sure when the last bus runs but I've done it in the dark a half dozen times.

You might want to post over on the Bucerias Tripadvisor Forum also, to get more information.

Have fun.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,713 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bucerias

good post, i will be goign to bucieras for sue but am contemplating on whether or not we will go to sayulita as well. not sure what to expect with that place and if it will be worth going or not. we would not be surfing or anything, just sight seeing, shopping and going for something to eat. I would love to get some new and different pictures on my trip.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,361 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bucerias

If going to Sayulita (& even if not) I recommend reading Gringos in Paradise by Barry Golson. It's about he and his wife's humorous experiences building a retirement home in Sayulita. Guaranteed to make the town and it's people come alive for you.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,458 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bucerias

lin,

You don't have to surf to enjoy Sayulita. We really enjoyed our bus trip there last June (had been there before, driving with a friend ---- thank you, friend....you know who you are). I've always been curious about it as an old colleague/neighbor of mine set up the first women's surfing school in Sayulita in the 90's. So, it intrigues me for that reason --- some history in how Sayulita got to where it is today.

When my neighbor set up that school many years back, Sayulita was still a "hidden gem." Actually, my son went to surfing/Spanish school in Chacala (further up the coast) in 1994, so I've always been intrigued by those villages up the Nayarit coast.

In the last few years, with Barry Golson's book ("Gringos in Paradise") and others searching it out ---- Sayulita is on the map. Photos-wise, if you like taking pictures of a bunch of young and fit surfer-dudes and dudettes (or people who are captivated by that mystique), you can get some good photos there. We like taking pictures of the surfers on the California coast also, so it fits OK for us.

I actually think they are both worth a trip (thus, suggesting they could be done in the same day ---- as they are in the same direction from PV) if someone is really energetic and doesn't mind getting up early and getting home late. This is all easy for me to say as I go to PV more than once a year and usually stay for more than one week.

If people are coming for a short trip, it might be difficult to make it to both. I'm a big Bucerias fan (we started going there in 2000 and I go there almost every time I'm in PV) because I have friends there and it feels comfortable. But, if someone wants to check out the surf scene (you say you want pictures, and Sayulita has many colorful photo ops), go to Sayulita.

It's difficult for someone to tell someone else which place is best though, since everyone is different and different experiences hit people differently. In my upcoming trip, I'll go to both but on separate days. They are unique to each other. The best way to figure it out is to do all the research on the numerous websites and see what piques your interest and then just go.

Hope that helps.

PS to edit and respond to Kansas as I was writing when she posted.....yes, definitely read the book. We actually walked by the Golson's house (which they rent out) and it made the BOOK come alive, not to mention the town. I already got the town part, from my buddy who started the school. Fun reading.

Edited: 28 October 2012, 19:22
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,713 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bucerias

thanks for all that info. i really wanted to go to both and to check out the new melacon. Last time we were in p.v. was Jan 2011. We are staying at GCP, how long do you think the bus ride is to Sayluita...... BUT i also wanted to do a tour or 2 and i want to relax so i have to make a hard choice here on what i will end up doing. Man i wish i booked a 10 day holiday again but going kid free will be hard enough leaving my son for a week never mind longer...