We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe for Infants

nj
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safe for Infants

Hello

I will be traveling with my family and have 1 yr old twins. I am concerned that Mexico might not be the best area to be in with small children. Can anyone tell me their experience with infants or small children under 2 in Puerto Vallarta...is it safe and friendly. I am looking to stay at a all inclusive resort so any suggestions would be great.

Keswick, Canada
Level Contributor
834 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe for Infants

PV is safe for your babies and yourselves! I travel solo and have never felt uncomfortable or in any danger! Met friends with their kids there and they were out and about quite late some evenings, kept their wits about them along with their street smarts and were fine! You are in a city so use your common sense, don't flash lots of money, jewelry or get inebriated beyond your control and the entire family will fall in love with this wonderful city as I have! Enjoy!!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe for Infants

They will be safer here than at home in New Jersey, Mexicans love children, but in an All Inclusive you'll be insulated anyway, pity.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,467 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe for Infants

There are tens of thousands of infants that live in grown up in PV and they all seem to turn out OK

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe for Infants

I have been traveling with my kids since they were at least 5 months old (each of them, just worked out that way) and I thought it was super easy. They still are in strollers, they eat mushy food (so pasta, rice, mashed veggies, eggs, yogurt, etc.) all available at an all inclusive and at any restaurant they love kids and would be happy to help you. I don't see any problem. We buy our diapers, formula, wipes, etc. there and it's very easy.

You will be fine.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe for Infants

We're (well our daughter & her hubby) are bringing our granddaughter who will be 8 months when we vacation. Not worried at all & can't wait to bring her to PV.

There's a link on here about a place you can rent equipment like cribs, high chairs.....I'll look for it.

Edit with link:

http://www.lotsfortotsmexico.com/home.html

Edited: 08 November 2012, 02:37
Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe for Infants

JR, there is nothing wrong with all-inclusives, if that is what works best for a person. So, IMO, it is not a pity that they will be insulated. Last I checked, the resorts don't lock you in :)

And you have no way of knowing whether is safer in Puerto Vallarta than where live in NJ. I get so tired of people saying that. Say it is safe here, no need to make negative comments about an area you now nothing about.

Calgary
Level Contributor
192 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe for Infants

Our son has been to Mexico twice, the first time when he was 6 months (Puerto Vallarta) and then again when he was 20 months. No problems whatsoever. My only recommendations: get lodging with a separate bedroom so that your children can sleep behind a closed door, which also gives you a nice break; and, take a good stroller - great for trips around town and for naps poolside or in restaurants. In PV, we had a 2 bedroom suite at Velas Vallarta - highly recommend. Have a good trip!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe for Infants

Some people want to enjoy the relaxtion of an all inclusive and there is nothing wrong with that. Alot of people work hard all week and just want to veg by the pool and not have to worry about where they're going to eat, how to get there,etc. There is something to be said about a relaxing holiday and that is totally fine with lots of people.

Good on them and I hope you and your kids enjoy yourself. Mine certainly did when they were little and when they were asleep and we still wanted to be up, if we were at a resort with late room service (already included), we would order food and drinks and have them leave them out the door and we would take it to the balcony for a few extra adult hours so we could enjoy the warm weather while the kids slept.

No worries about taking babies, have fun:)

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe for Infants

II have had so many friends bring their babies and children here and they have all loved it. No worries, it is very safe and there are tons of options for your children to enjoy, even at one years old. My friends started coming here when their daughter was less than three months old, then right after their son was born. They are now 3 years and 6 years old and their parents bought a condo here simply because they all love coming here so much.

If you need any baby gear, the stores all sell whatever you need as well... including Lil Swimmers diapers for the pool :)

Come on down!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe for Infants

My comment was misunderstood. If they are staying at an all inclusive resort, which is an insulated environment, they would probably be much safe than at home in a big city.

My comment "pity" is because I afraid many of those who visit this way, often never experience our wonderful town.